- Joe Schad of the Palm Beach Post believes the combination of CBs Xavien Howard and Byron Jones should be lethal for Miami, especially when combined with first-round rookie Noah Igbinoghene.
- Schad says the team’s biggest concern is S Bobby McCain, who has proven to be a solid slot corner and struggled at times in an adjustment to a new role.
- The Dolphins’ best camp battle, according to Schad, should be third-round S Brandon Jones against McCain and S Eric Rowe. Schad thinks Jones is solid as a cover man and as a tackler, but it’s unknown if he’s a greater threat to either McCain or Rowe, who are natural corners.
- According to Schad, it will be interesting to see if CB Nik Needham forces his way into the plans of HC Brian Flores and DC Josh Boyer in 2020.
- Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald says the Dolphins have not had any discussions about an extension for RB Matt Breida.
- He adds the Dolphins have also tabled extensions for DT Davon Godchaux and LB Raekwon McMillan.
- Brian Costello of the New York Post says that while Jets LB Avery Williamson was seen as a potential cap cut given his ACL injury and the team’s depth at inside linebacker, now it appears his spot is secure at least through camp.
- The Jets don’t have a pressing need for cap space right now and if Williamson is healthy and playing well, he could still lock up a starting spot in 2020, per Costello.
New Patriots QB Cam Newton has no shortage of motivation for this upcoming season. After signing in New England on a minimum deal, Newton’s looking to prove he’s healthy and still can play at the MVP-level he reached before Carolina jettisoned him.
“I’m getting tired of being humble now,” Newton said in the video via NFL Media’s Kevin Patra. “…I’m really a killa. I’m really a killa. You hear me? I’m getting tired of all this humble s—-. Because, when you’re humble, they start taking advantage of you. When you don’t say nothing, they start taking advantage of you. But the hyenas can be doing all of this, the elephants can be doing all of what they do, the giraffes, the antelopes, the chimpanzees, even the gorilla. But there’s one (expletive) animal in the jungle and when he roars, everything stops. And I’m about to (expletive) roar.”