Dolphins GM Chris Grier told reporters that he doesn’t think it was a mistake to stick with QB Ryan Tannehill for as long as they did.
“No, I don’t think it was a mistake,” Grier said, via the Sun-Sentinel. “I think the one thing maybe we could have all done, and me pushing too, is drafting maybe someone behind him to come through, that could back him up, maybe. But we had other needs and it was a different kind of mindset in terms of how we were doing things.”
Grier explained that going 10-6 with Tannehill running Adam Gase’s offense made them think they were headed in the right direction.
“I think after that 10-6 year with Adam, you probably thought, ‘Hey, maybe it’s going to turn and now it’s going to be what people hoped he would be as far as being a top-10 pick in the draft,’” Grier said.
“I texted Peyton and just went back and forth with him, but he obviously thinks a lot of Coach Gase,” said Siemian via Ethan Greenberg of the team’s official site. “Being with some of the guys that were there in Denver when Coach Gase was there before I had gotten there, they spoke really highly of him. That and a bunch of other reasons are why I’m here and I’m super excited.”
- The Jets signed OLB Brandon Copeland to a one-year, $1.75 million that includes $500,000 guaranteed, a $250,000 signing bonus and a $250,000 base salary. (Rich Cimini)
- Albert Breer reports that the Patriots made calls around the league regarding trades for receivers.
- Breer says he’s heard names such as Falcons WR Mohamed Sanu and Giants WR Sterling Shepard along with Vikings WR Adam Thielen. However, Breer admits that Thielen a less realistic option.
- Breer mentions that another avenue the Patriots could consider is to target receivers at the end of rookie deals that haven’t worked out in other places such as Redskins WR Josh Doctson or Vikings WR Laquon Treadwell.
- Breer admits that the pickings are kind of slim at the receiver position and New England could be better offer grabbing someone on Day 2 of the draft.
- Jared Tokarz reports that the Patriots are hosting Notre Dame WR Miles Boykin for an official top-30 visit on April 7th.