- Per Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald, when asked if the Dolphins would consider trading QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to another team that needed a starting quarterback, HC Brian Flores did not say no: “Those questions go to [GM Chris Grier], they should go to Chris. My focus is on the Rams. It’s a good opponent. They’re tough, physical. That’s really a Chris question. He’s the one who handles all the calls from other teams. My focus is on this team, this week.”
Jets HC Adam Gase has been mulling ceding control of the offensive playcalling for a few weeks now. He finally pulled the trigger this weekend against the Bills and the Jets did score 10 points in the first half. It quickly fizzled out, however, as OC Dowell Loggains called a game that resulted in just four total yards in the second half.
“I’ve been thinking about it for a while, just trying to figure out what’s going on, how come we’re not consistent and productive,” Gase said via ESPN’s Rich Cimini. “I just felt like it was the time to do it and see how the guys would respond and what our offensive staff would put together. It looked like things were going well in the first half.”
- Gase didn’t exactly say no when asked if QB Sam Darnold is regressing this season: “It depends what you’re looking at. We’re not good anywhere statistically. What I see in practice, I see things that are better than last year. We’ve just got to figure out ways to protect him, let him get in a rhythm.” (Ralph Vacchiano)
- Jets WR Breshad Perriman is in the concussion protocol. (Brian Costello)
- Jets DL Kyle Phillips is having surgery to clean up “multiple issues” in his ankle, per Gase, and is out for the rest of the season. (Vacchiano)
Patriots QB Cam Newton had one of his worst games as a professional in New England’s blowout loss to the 49ers this week, as he was just 9-15 passing and had three interceptions. It’s his second poor performance in a row, as he had two interceptions in a loss to the Broncos the week before. Newton hasn’t looked right since his COVID-19 diagnosis.
“Well, I’ve just been pressing,” Newton said via Pro Football Talk. “I don’t think it’s anything with mechanics. It’s seeing the situation at hand and I caught myself just pressing too much. The energy is definitely been off for me and at times it’s not rewarding when you’re just going out there with this aura about yourself that’s not you. I love playing this football game. I have fun playing this football game, but the performances here hasn’t been somewhat delightful for me to have fun in doing so. So I just got to be better. And a lot of things starts and stops at that position and I understand that. And I have put this team in a rut with the performances here, and yet just start over with Monday and see where it goes.”
- Newton added on Monday he’s not seeing the field and thinking as fast as he needs to be: “Nervous? No. Scared? Absolutely not. Thinking? Now that’s something I could probably finger-point [as an issue].” (Mike Reiss)
- Patriots HC Bill Belichick said after the game Newton is still the starting quarterback and reaffirmed that sentiment Monday: “I think he’s our best player there.” (Michael Giardi)