- Beyond that Miami is also expected to either release or trade QB Ryan Tannehill, which would create either $13.2 million or $18.7 million of cap savings, depending on when the move is made.
- In total, the Dolphins would save at least $46.9 million of cap room by parting ways with these six players.
- Pelissero explains that Fournette has been an effective player when healthy and the team has already paid him over $20 million in the first two years of his contract.
- By voiding his guaranteed money, it would make it easier for the Jaguars to trade him, but Pelissero expects the team to evaluate if he makes any changes during the offseason before weighing their options.
Jets GM Mike Maccagnan said Monday that having Sam Darnold in place as the team’s quarterback of the future makes their job “attractive.”
“I would think, given the opportunity, I would like the potential head coaches that come through here to have a chance to spend a little time with (Darnold) just so they get a feel for Sam,” Maccagnan said, via NewYorkJets.com. “We definitely want to make sure they have a plan in place to develop our young quarterback.
“I think our (coaching vacancy) is going to be pretty attractive with the way the roster is situated, with the salary-cap space, with our draft picks, and with a young quarterback in Sam Darnold.”
- Manish Mehta hears that Jim Harbaugh being hired by the Jets is “not happening” despite the prior reports.
- Regarding the news that the Jets will interview Mike McCarthy for their head coach job, an NFL GM tells Manish Mehta: “It would be interesting to see the dynamic between Mike McCarthy and Mike Maccagnan. That doesn’t seem like a match made in heaven to me.”