- Per the Athletic’s Nicki Jhabvala, Broncos HC Vic Fangio says it’s “unlikely but possible” second-round rookie QB Drew Lock will be activated to back up Brandon Allen at quarterback.
- Broncos TE Andrew Beck will replace the injured Andy Janovich at fullback. (Mike Klis)
- Per Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer, NFL EVP and chief strategy officer Chris Halpin said the rumors of a Chargers move to London were baseless: “We are fully committed to growing our fan base through playing games in the U.K., but we have never discussed a Chargers relocation there. That’s just baseless speculation.”
- According to NBC Sports’ Peter King, the Colts with HC Andy Reid are seen as a potential fit for free-agent QB Colin Kaepernick.
Midseason additions usually have a minimal impact in the NFL. If players are available this time of year, it’s often for good reason. It also can be a challenge to assimilate to a new team’s playbook and culture in a shortened timeframe. That makes the accomplishments for new Raiders S D.J. Swearinger and DE Dion Jordan all the more impressive. Both were signed just this week, but on Sunday Swearinger led the team with seven tackles while Jordan had a key third-down sack.
“The new guys get great, positive energy from the coaching staff,” Raiders TE Darren Waller said via NBC Sports’ Scott Bair. “They’ll be patient, but there’s also a sense of urgency with those guys. You see how it pays off. It’s amazing to see guys come in and contribute like they have on this team.”
- Raiders HC Jon Gruden praised recently-signed LB Preston Brown, the latest new addition to Oakland’s defense this season: “(He) has all the intangibles you look for in a middle linebacker. He is charismatic, intelligent, a football junkie…We wil try to fast-track him.” (Vic Tafur)
- Regarding their plan for newly signed DE Dion Jordan, Gruden said: “We’re trying to keep Ferrell and Maxx and Mayowa outside and Dion gives us another guy with length that can go inside on the guards and give us some athleticism and some chase-down ability. I think he showed he still can do that.” (Jerry McDonald)
- The Raiders worked out LB Malik Jefferson (Texas), RB Rod Smith and RB Mark Thompson on Monday. (Aaron Wilson)