Albert Breer of TheMMQ.com runs down all of the head-coaching decisions worth keeping an eye on in the coming weeks and offers the latest on what he’s hearing from sources regarding each situation.
- Now that the Lions have missed the playoffs, Breer believes it’s likely HC Jim Caldwell will be fired next week.
- A potential replacement for Caldwell worth watching, according to Breer, is Patriots DC Matt Patricia, as this could allow them to keep Jim Bob Cooter and their offensive staff in place.
- As for the Raiders, Breer says that there are problems on the team’s coaching staff that should lead to a “significant shakeup.”
- The question for Oakland is whether owner Mark Davis is willing to eat three years of HC Jack Del Rio’s contract and fire him.
- Breer adds that Davis has a long-standing fascination with Jon Gruden.
- Raiders OC Todd Downing could be out after the season and it’s also possible that they could move on from OL coach Mike Tice, who seen as a divisive force.
- Breer admits that this may sound crazy, but there’s a chance Seahawks HC Pete Carroll could decide to retire to southern California.
- The Seahawks have several big defensive stars in question and are nearing a possible overhaul of the roster.
Breer says Carroll retiring is “not the wildest idea out there.“
- One really interesting situation to watch in the next few weeks is what happens in Houston with the Texans and HC Bill O’Brien.
- According to Breer, he’d be “floored” if O’Brien even considered signing an extension without changes to the way the football operation is aligned.
- This could set up a situation where ownership has to decide whether to move on from GM Rick Smith or allow O’Brien to become a free agent in 2019.