Here’s a running list of rumors related to the Lions head coaching search.
- Tim Twentymen of DetroitLions.com writes that the talk of Ken Whisenhunt being the favorite for the Lions job was just “media speculation.” (Update: 8:46 pm)
- According to Twentymen, Jim Caldwell “looks to be the top choice right now. ” (Update: 8:46 pm)
- Adam Caplan mentions that former Ohio State HC Jim Tressel could join Jim Caldwell’s offensive staff should he get the Lions head coaching job. (Update: 7:00 pm)
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Lions were impressed with how Jim Caldwell worked with QB Matthew Stafford. (Update: 5:52 pm)
- Rapoport adds that sources believe Jim Caldwell has the edge. (Update: 5:52 pm)
- Chris Mortensen reports that Ravens OC Jim Caldwell has emerged as a favorite for the Lions job with Mike Munchak still an option. (Update: 5:23 pm)
- Ian Rapoport adds that the Lions may turn to Mike Munchak as their new head coach after he had an “outstanding” interview with the team a few days ago. (Update: 5:23 pm)
- Former Colts HC Tony Dungy has been offering his support for Jim Caldwell to get the Lions job,via ESPN.com. (Update: 5:23 pm)
- Adam Schefter adds that former Texans HC Gary Kubiak is still an option for the Lions as well. (Update: 5:23 pm)
- The Lions lost out on Ken Whisenhunt as ESPN’s Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter reported that he agreed to become the next head coach of the Titans. (Update: 5:23 pm)
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Lions owner sent a private plane to pick Whisenhunt up in San Diego, but Whisenhunt never got on the plane. (Update: 5:23 pm)
- Ian Rapoport is hearing that Mike Munchak’s interview with the Lions was “outstanding.”
- Mike Silver tweets: “Keep an eye on the Lions & Ken Whisenhunt today or tomorrow…”
- According to Silver, Whisenhunt has already had conversations with some Chargers assistants about joining his coaching staff if he gets lands a head coaching job.
- Jason La Canfora reports that Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt has no interviews scheduled today, but he remains the “clear favorite” for the Lions job.
- Chris McCosky is “hearing” that Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt could already be in Detroit meeting with the Lions Monday regarding their head coaching job.
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Titans and Ken Whisenhunt have mutual interest as he’s a former Vanderbilt coach.
- Rapoport adds that Whisenhunt is comfortable with the team’s front office and the city of Nashville.
- McCosky mentions that the Whisenhunt’s reported interest in the Titans job “smells of leverage plays by agents.“
- McCosky believes Whisenhunt is still the Lions’ to lose.
We’ll have continuous updates post here as the news is available, so be sure to check back.
- Jason La Canfora notes that the Chargers losing to the Broncos will allow OC Ken Whisenhunt to interview for head coaching jobs.
- According to La Canfora, Whisenhunt landing in Detroit is a “very, very strong probability.”
- Chris Mortensen reports that Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt remains the “odds-on favorite” for the Lions head coaching job.
- However, former Titans HC Mike Munchak “surprised” the Lions with strong interview and Mortensen adds that he shouldn’t be ignored as a possibility.
- Ian Rapoport reports that indications continue to point to Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt being the favorite to land the Lions coaching job.
- Rapoport adds that a deal between Whisenhunt and Detroit could come together fairly quickly depending on what happens with the Chargers on Sunday.
- Whisenhunt has already interviewed with the Browns, Lions and Titans this week.
- ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt is scheduled to interview with the Lions Thursday.
- Tim Twentyman reports that the Lions interviewed former Titans HC Mike Munchak for their head-coaching vacancy Wednesday.
- Twentyman adds that Detroit is expected to talk to San Diego OC Ken Whisenhunt later in the week.
- Jennifer Hammond reports that Gary Kubiak interviewed for the Lions head-coaching job on Tuesday. (Update: 5:19 pm)
- Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press mentions that former Texans HC Gary Kubiak is “one other name to watch” with regards to the Lions job.
- Ed Werder reports that the Lions will interview former Titans HC Mike Munchak for their head-coaching vacancy Friday.
- Ian Rapoport expects Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt to interview at some point this week. (Update: 3:04 pm)
- Bengals OC Jay Gruden mentioned that he is not sure about interviewing with the Lions regarding their head-coaching vacancy, per Dave Birkett. He expects to meet with the Vikings, Titans and Redskins.
- Adam Schefter reports that the Lions also have Bengals OC Jay Gruden on their head-coaching “wish list.”
- ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Lions’ head-coaching job is considered Ken Whisenhunt’s “to lose.”
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Lions continue to have “strong interest” in Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt. (Update: 2:25 pm)
- Rapoport adds that it would not be surprising to see OL coach Russ Grimm join him in Detroit. (Update: 2:25 pm)
- 49ers OC Greg Roman is reportedly interested in the Lions job as well, according to Ian Rapoport. (Update: 2:25 pm)
- Pete Thamel reports that the Lions also have interest in Oklahoma HC Bob Stoops, who is reportedly at the top of the Browns coaching candidates list.
- Mike Garafolo reports that Bengals DC Mike Zimmer is generating interest from Lions among other teams and could interview for the job next week. (Update: 5:41 pm)
- Garafolo adds that Zimmer was “off-limits” this week while the Bengals prepare for the Wildcard playoff game.
- Tim Twentyman of DetroitLions.com mentions that Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt is the likely favorite for the Lions job.
- Adam Schefter reports that the Lions will interview Ravens OC Jim Caldwell on Friday. (Update: 2:14 pm)
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Lions have been making calls to references for Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt.
- Rapoport characterizes the Lions interest in Ken Whisenhunt as being “very strong.”
- Jason La Canfora expects the Lions to target an “offensive-minded coach” and adds that Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt is “well positioned” to get the job. (Update: 8:24 pm)
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Lions are “pushing very hard” for an interview with Lovie Smith. (Update: 5:01 pm)
- Rapoport adds that there is a good chance that the two sides will get something set up soon.
- Jason La Canfora mentions that the Lions and Buccaneers are “most likely” to hire Lovie Smith.
- La Canfora adds that Vikings HC Leslie Frazier could join Smith as his defensive coordinator with either team.
- Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports that Lovie Smith is expected to interview for the Lions head coaching job at some point.
- Jason La Canfora reports that Seahawks assistant HC Tom Cable “was never a candidate” for the Lions. (Update: 9:43 pm)
- Mark Maske reports that the Lions are “thought to have” interest in Ravens OC Jim Caldwell. (Update: 6:48 pm)
- Adam Schefter reports that the Lions are scheduling an interview with Ravens OC Jim Caldwell. (Update: 9:33 pm)
- Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press is “hearing” that the Lions have interest in Seahawks assistant HC Tom Cable. (Update: 2:55 pm)
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Lions have yet to make an official request to interview Cable. (Update: 3:28 pm)
- Rapoport adds that the Seahawks view Cable as “their most valuable assistants, if not most valuable.”
- Jason La Canfora expects the Lions to jump all over the opportunity to sign Bill O’Brien as their next head coach if he doesn’t take the Texans job.
- Ian Rapoport adds that GM Martin Mayhew is believed to be “heavily involved” in the next coaching search.
- Penn State HC Bill O’Brien has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the Lions job for weeks now.
- 49ers OC Greg Roman, Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt, Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell, Broncos OC Adam Gase and Bengals OC Jay Gruden could also be options as well.
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!
Ken Whisenhunt would be the best choice, he is a great Offensive minded coach, look what he did with the Steelers and what he has done with Rivers in San Diego. He could make them a scoring machine.
Bill O’Brien… Hands Down!!
Too bad the Texans are going to scoop him up first… 🙁