New Cowboys OC Kellen Moore says he’s taken in a wide variety of influences in his new offense he’s installing with the Cowboys.
“You take bits and pieces of everywhere,” Moore said via the Athletic’s Calvin Watkins. “From high school, my dad was a high school coach, (I) learned a lot from him foundationally. College at Boise with Coach (Chris) Petersen, and then different spots, whether it’s Detroit or whether it’s here. Different people you interact with, you can pull bits and pieces from everyone and piece it all together and hopefully comes out with something well.”
While the system is similar in a lot of ways to the Cowboys offense of past year given the influence of HC Jason Garrett, Moore is much more open to collaboration than previous OC Scott Linehan, who did not take suggestions from players.
“I think, at the end of the day, it’s a collaborative effort,” Moore said. “It starts with the coaching staff (and) what we do all offseason. But you like hearing how players feel about certain things, whether it’s Dak, whether it’s Zeke (Elliott) or (Jason Witten), or whoever it may be. Sometimes, it justifies things and you have to explain things better. Certainly, I think there’s nothing wrong with this being a collaborative effort.”
- Watkins mentions that a potential pay cut for WR Allen Hurns wouldn’t come until late August when the Cowboys get a better sense of if Hurns can make the team. Hurns is recovering from a fractured ankle and has a $4 million base salary.
- Other notable players potentially on the roster bubble include QB Mike White, WR Tavon Austin, TE Rico Gathers, OL Adam Richmond, T Mitch Hyatt, DE Taco Charlton, S George Iloka, S Darian Thompson and S Donovan Wilson.
- Per Jeff McLane, Eagles HC Doug Pederson held out second-round RB Miles Sanders from OTA’s again to be cautious with his hamstring.
- Pederson said WR Mack Hollins is still working through the groin injury he suffered last season: “He’s continuing his rehab. He’s progressing. He’s doing well.” (Zack Rosenblatt)
- Pederson is optimistic Hollins will be ready for the start of training camp. (Reuben Frank)
- Pederson added QB Carson Wentz has not had any setbacks and continues to look good. (Eliot Shorr-Parks)
- Pederson mentioned RB Boston Scott as the first option to replace RB Darren Sproles. (Rosenblatt)
- CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora anticipates the Giants benching QB Eli Manning for first-round pick Daniel Jones by Week 7 against the Cardinals.