- ESPN’s Dan Graziano wouldn’t be surprised if the Cowboys ended up hiring a defense-minded coach, given the level of disappointment within the organization about how the defense performed this season.
- This would allow the Cowboys to stick with offensive coordinator Kellen Moore and give him another season to develop.
- Graziano tosses out Saints defensive coordinator Dennis Allen and Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier as two potential options should Dallas go this route.
- According to Graziano, the Vikings-Saints game is worth keeping an eye on this weekend, as a Minnesota loss could lead to the Cowboys making a run at Mike Zimmer.
- Graziano adds that college coaches like Urban Meyer, Lincoln Riley and Matt Rhule also shouldn’t be ruled out for the Dallas job.
- Matt Miller reports that word in the scouting community is that the Cowboys are eyeing safeties and defensive tackles with pick No. 17.
- However, an NFL scout tells Miller: “Don’t be surprised if they’re a trade-back team since they really don’t have a ton of needs.”
- Nick Korte of OverTheCap.com projects the Eagles to receive a third-round compensatory pick for Nick Foles, a fourth-rounder for LB Jordan Hicks and another fourth-rounder for WR Golden Tate.
- Eagles RB Miles Sanders told reporters on Friday that he’s a go for Sunday’s game against the Seahawks. (Mike Garafolo)
- Eagles HC Doug Pederson said RT Lane Johnson really wants to play on Sunday and TE Zach Ertz is still yet to cleared for contact. (Zack Rosenblatt)
- John Clark reports that Ertz has a “decent chance” to play on Sunday and is more likely than Johnson to return.
- OUT for Wildcard game: WR Nelson Agholor (knee)
- QUESTIONABLE for Wildcard game: TE Zach Ertz (ribs, back), T Lane Johnson (ankle)
- Dan Graziano of ESPN says signs continue to point to Baylor HC Matt Rhule landing the Giants’ job, even though other teams like the Panthers are expected to have interest.
- According to Albert Breer, Giants assistant GM Kevin Abrams is the one who has quietly spearheaded the team’s recent efforts to build up its analytics department. Breer says that Abrams is guiding the team through its reorganization.
- Giants GM Dave Gettleman said he “tore apart” the team’s scouting system. Breer confirms that the Giants have made changes to their grading scale in recent years to reflect that players coming out of college are younger and less prepared for the pros than they used to be. Breer adds that Gettleman has tried to focus on physical ability and mental capacity to learn over their sole evaluation of the player from his college tape.
- Jay Glazer thinks the Giants have Matt Rhule high on their list of candidates for the HC job.
- However, Glazer believes Mike McCarthy would be a “tremendous” hire for New York, given that he could help to develop Daniel Jones in the coming years.
- Matt Miller of B/R mentions that the expectation from those inside the Giants is that the team will look at edge-rushers, left tackles and wide receivers this year.
- One scout tells Miller of Giants GM Dave Gettleman: “He can’t help himself with linemen, so slot your top-rated offensive tackle there.”
- Regarding the Redskins’ GM job, Dan Graziano mentions that while Washington did some research into former Texans GM Rick Smith, it sounds as if the interest there has cooled.
- Graziano notes that the Redskins also did background on Louis Riddick as a possible GM candidate.
- Jason La Canfora continues to hear that the most chatter about the Redskins targeting Colts executive Morocco Brown for their GM job.
- La Canfora says Brown was a favorite of Redskins owner Dan Snyder during his stint with the team. Beyond that, Brown is reportedly well regarded by new Redskins HC Ron Rivera from their time together in Chicago.
- As for Eric Schaffer, La Canfora mentions that it appears as though he will be out in Washington following this year’s draft.
- One interesting option for the Redskins GM position suggested by La Canfora is Vikings GM Rick Spielman. Depending on what happens in Minnesota in the next week or so, La Canfora reports that Synder would consider adding someone with significant experience as an evaluator/GM like Spielman.
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!