“I do my best work without a net. I really do,” Jones said in an interview with the team site, via Pro Football Talk. “I’m better with a little risk involved. In essence, there’s a little bit of no net here. He is not in danger of having any issue with his credibility with his players or anybody else. It’s well known, the support I have for him. No one breathing wants him to win and win big more than I do, and we haven’t done anything here with what we have done or haven’t done relative to contract.”
- Jerry Jones said the return of TE Jason Witten from retirement would not “deter (the Cowboys) in any way” of using their first pick on a tight end, saying Witten would not be a “progress-stopper.” (Jon Machota)
- Virginia S Juan Thornhill has a meeting set up with the Cowboys. (Jon Machota)
- Pat Leonard of the Daily News believes the Giants will consider three different offensive tackles at No. 6 if they don’t select a quarterback, including Oklahoma’s Cody Ford, Florida’s Jawaan Taylor and Alabama’s Jonah Williams.
- The Giants could take a look at bringing back former S Andrew Adams after Tampa Bay chose not to tender him as a restricted free agent. (Matt Lombardo)
- However, Art Stapleton says Adams didn’t have the faith of the coaching staff and doubts either side would want a reunion.
- SNY’s Ralph Vacchiano believes QB Eli Manning will be the Giants’ starter in 2019 for at least the beginning of the season. GM Dave Gettleman mentioned “the Kansas City model” of having a rookie sit behind a veteran for a season.
- Vacchiano believes Gettleman will draft a quarterback sooner rather than later, and the GM was clear in his press conference the best place to find a franchise quarterback is early in the first round.
- According to Vacchiano, his impression is both S Landon Collins and DE Olivier Vernon will be gone from the team in 2019.
Washington team president Bruce Allen said the team was never seriously considering trading for QB Joe Flacco.
“We were never involved in Flacco,” Allen said, via Pro Football Talk. “We were looking at free agency, I don’t think it’s any secret there’s players being offered in trades from other teams. We’ve listened to that. We feel good where we’re at. I can’t tell you who is exactly going to back up Colt if Alex can’t go, but we have some time.”