New Bears WR Taylor Gabriel says he’s looking to bring some “explosiveness” to the team’s offense in 2018.
“Just bringing that explosiveness to the offense — the downfield [passes], the screens,” Gabriel said, via NBC Chicago. “I mean I can’t pinpoint the [one] thing I’m doing, because I’m everywhere in this offense. I play running back, I’m doing flea flickers, I’m doing all types of stuff.
“I’m everywhere, I’ve been everywhere. Even when I was with the Falcons I was in the backfield. I was [running] jet sweep. So it’s nothing that I’m giving away, that’s just what I’ve been doing my whole career.”
- Bears HC Matt Nagy mentioned rookie OLB Kylie Fitts as a player who has stood to him on defense. (Adam Jahns)
“While Rodgers has a clear talent advantage over those players, the contract length cannot be overstated here,” Brandt writes. “It is the single biggest hurdle in this negotiation to Rodgers getting what he wants.”
Interestingly enough, Brandt wonders if it makes sense for Rodgers to agree to a contract before the 2018 season.
“I truly wonder if it makes sense for Rodgers to do a deal in 2018,” Brandt wrote. “I can certainly see why the Packers want to, even at an average per year north of $30-32 million for the extension years. That is a no-brainer and a contract that will serve the Packers well for ages. From Rodgers’ perspective, though (again, I admit to bias as a friend and former teammate), I’m not sure I see the value in signing now. Whatever deal he signs now will be, in my mind, inferior to what he would sign at this time next year, and vastly inferior to the one he would sign two years from now, franchise tag or not.”
- Ben Goessling reports that the Vikings are still collecting names of candidates for their vacant offensive line coach job after Tony Sparano’s sudden passing.
- According to Goessling, former Cardinals OC Harold Goodwin has some support within the team for the job and both Mike Tomlin and Bruce Arians have contacted the Vikings on Goodwin’s behalf.
- As of now, Goessling says that the Vikings have not spoken to Goodwin directly yet but he’s a name worth watching among others.
- The Vikings have assistant OL coach Andrew Janocko handling the position group for now.