- According to ESPN’s Seth Wickersham, Tom Brady‘s preferred destination was San Francisco, but the 49ers elected to stand pat with QB Jimmy Garoppolo.
- NBC Sports’ Matt Maiocco writes the 49ers will likely rely on a combination of players, including Solomon Thomas, Ronald Blair, Jullian Taylor, D.J. Jones and Kentavius Street to pick up the slack after trading away DL DeForest Buckner.
- San Francisco won’t pick up Thomas’ fifth-year option but he still figures prominently in their 2020 plans on the defensive line.
- Maiocco points out 49ers RB Jerick McKinnon‘s route-running ability is something none of the other backs on the roster have and why the team was open to restructuring and bringing him back.
- Maiocco writes that it’s reasonable to assume 49ers TE George Kittle will not step on a field again without a long-term extension that makes him the highest-paid tight end in the NFL.
- 49ers OT Shon Coleman‘s one-year, $2.2 million deal includes a $1.37 million signing bonus and an $825,000 base salary. (Aaron Wilson)
- The Athletic’s Kevin Fishbain thinks there’s a good chance Bears QB Mitchell Trubisky opens up training camp as the starter with Nick Foles as the backup, though it feels inevitable that Foles steps in as the starter at some point.
- Chicago showed interest in some of the top free-agent guards and Fishbain says they still could pursue Chargers G Michael Schofield or players who were cut like 49ers G Michael Person, Vikings G Josh Kline or Broncos G Ronald Leary.
- Bears TE Jimmy Graham‘s two-year, $16 million deal includes a $6 million signing bonus, a $3 million 2020 base salary guaranteed in 2020, and a $6.9 million base salary and $100,000 workout bonus in 2021. (Field Yates)
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!