- Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports writes that the 49ers would like to sign a “starting caliber” free-agent safety “at the right price.”
- Matt Barrows of The Athletic could see San Francisco signing free-agent pass rushers such as Dante Fowler, Shaquil Barrett, or Trey Flowers.
- If the 49ers trade their first-round pick and are unable to attain Ohio State DE Nick Bosa, Barrows names Clemson DE Clelin Ferrell, Mississippi State DE Montez Sweat, FSU DE Brian Burns as “entirely possible” prospects.
- Regarding the possibility of signing impending free-agent DE Ezekiel Ansah, Barrows points out that 49ers executive Martin Mayhew aided to drafting Ansah while working for the Lions, while DL coach Kris Kocurek coached him from 2013-2017.
- Barrows views the 49ers’ best options for a pass rusher in the 2019 NFL Draft is Bosa, Ferrell, Michigan’s Rashan Gary, or Boston College’s Zach Allen as a second-round prospect.
Michael Cohen of the Athletic
reports that the player whose contract negotiation with the Packers could be the most divisive is ILB Blake Martinez
, who views himself as being among the best players at his position and will likely want to be compensated at that level.
Cohen expects the Packers to allow Clay Matthews
to test the open market this offseason and thinks it’s unlikely Green Bay will pay Nick Perry
his $4.8 million roster bonus. Although, Cohen admits it’s unclear if the Packers will cut Perry or try to renegotiate his contract.
According to Cohen, the Packers are expected to be in the mix for free agent OLB Preston Smith
this offseason, but it could cost them as much as $16 million per year to sign him.
Another free agent pass rusher to watch for Green Bay, according to Cohen, is Ravens OLB Za’Darius Smith
Cohen says DE Muhammad Wilkerson
assumed an important leadership role on the defensive line and developed strong bonds with several of the younger players at that position last year, despite suffering a season-ending injury. They is likely part of the reason there’s mutual interest between the two parties in a new deal.
The Packers have expressed interest in re-signing DL Fadol Brown
, writes Cohen.
- Ryan Wood believes the Packers should re-sign veteran TE Marcedes Lewis or pursue Luke Stocker in free agency. Woods points out that Packers’ recently hired HC Matt LaFleur has praised Stocker for his versatility.
- The Minnesota Vikings announced that they’ve re-signed exclusive rights free agent FB C.J. Ham and P Matt Wile to one-year contracts.
- Vikings RB Roc Thomas has been charged with felony possession of marijuana after a search warrant was executed on his apartment in January and officers found more than 143 grams. (Andrew Krammer)
- The Vikings released the following statement: “We are aware of the charges filed against Roc Thomas and have expressed our disappointment directly to Roc for his actions. We will respect both the legal process and the NFL’s disciplinary process.“
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!