49ers HC Kyle Shanahan explained that they plan to be “smarter” with how they use OLB Dee Ford this time around in his return from a hamstring injury.
“We’re trying to be smarter about it. I don’t know if that’s the right word. And I think Dee is, also,” Shanahan said, via NBC Bay Area. “It’s tough for athletes in these situations. They want to play, no matter what. And when we look back at New Orleans, I think Dee was a little tight before the game. . . .
“He thought he could go, and the way Dee Ford comes off the ball, his fourth play of the game, he came off hard and he tweaked his hamstring again. So now we can look back and Dee can learn from that and I can learn from that, too. I hope Dee, if he feels that tight, can come tell me. Now I know from that history of what happened in New Orleans, if he’s feeling like that, I know what that means.”
- QUESTIONABLE for Saturday’s game: Dee Ford (quadricep, hamstring), DE Kentavius Street (knee)
- Scott Roussel of FootballScoop is reporting that new Panthers Matt Rhule is interested in speaking with LSU’s Joe Brady about their offensive coordinator job.
- Michael Giardi reports that Patriots OC Josh McDaniels was set to head to interview with the Panthers while his agent, Trace Armstrong, who happens to be Ruhle’s agent, was in the midst of finalizing a deal to lock up Ruhle with Carolina. According to Giardi, Armstrong never informed Josh.
- Seahawks HC Pete Carroll told reporters that LT Duane Brown and OT/TE George Fant will be game-time decisions. (Joe Fann)
- According to Carroll, Chad Wheeler an option at tackle if need be. (Bob Condotta)
- Carroll said of DE Jadeveon Clowney (muscle core): “As the week progressed, he felt much better than he did last week. So, he’s in good shape and ready to go. We’re excited about that. We’re really certain about his return. He’s in good shape to go.” (Adam Caplan)
- Carroll mentioned that S Marquise Blair turned an ankle in practice and they’re just waiting out the swelling. Blair believes he’ll be able to suit up. (Curtis Crabtree)
- DOUBTFUL for Sunday’s game: G Mike Iupati (neck)
- QUESTIONABLE for Sunday’s game: DE Ezekiel Ansah (neck), S Marquise Blair (ankle), T Duane Brown (knee), T George Fant (groin), DT Quinton Jefferson (ankle)