The Buccaneers haven’t made the playoffs in any of WR Mike Evans‘ five seasons with the team and their drought will extend to 12 seasons if Tampa Bay misses the postseason again in 2019. Evans says the team has too much talent to let that happen, though.
“It will be a major disappointment if we don’t make it this year, like it has been every year, but especially this year,” Evans said via Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times. “I feel like we’re loaded on both sides of the ball and we have a really good rapport overall. Everybody has been playing well. Everybody has been having a really good training camp. I mean, if we don’t do it this year, it’s going to be tough to do it all the other years. I know we’re in a tough division, but we’ve got the guys to do that.”
- Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Falcons called free agent QB Garrett Grayson after placing QB Kurt Benkert on injured reserve earlier in the week
- However, Rapoport says Grayson told the Falcons that he’s “walking away from football at this time, but he appreciated the offer.
- The Falcons ultimately re-signed QB Matt Simms, who is likely to see game action for Atlanta this preseason.
- Falcons signed LB Chase Middleton.
- Falcons waived DB Hamp Cheevers.
Lions CB Darius Slay was among the veteran players to appear in Detroit’s preseason opener.
Head coach Matt Patricia told reporters that there was “no message” to Slay appearing in an exhibition game.
“There was the entire offensive line was out there to start the game. Tracy Walker was out there. Romeo Okwara was out there. Justin Coleman was out there,” Patricia said, via the Detroit Free Press. “Anybody that we felt could play and would be beneficial for them to get some snaps in a game, we tried to play.”