The Cardinals’ defense currently ranks No. 32 in the NFL in total defense, but DC Vance Joseph says he isn’t concerned about his job status.
“I’m not [concerned]. I’m not,” Joseph said Thursday, via Pro Football Talk. “I’ve been coaching a long time in this league, I’ve had success as a coach, so I’m not worried about that. That’s not my call. My job is to fix the defense.”
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson said their defensive scheme has been simplified in terms of the number of calls required by secondary, which should allow young players to play faster. (Kent Somers)
- Cardinals claimed TE Dan Arnold off waivers from the Saints. (NFLTR)
- Cardinals placed DL Jonathan Bullard on injured reserve.
- Per NJ.com’s Zack Rosenblatt, while Eagles HC Doug Pederson said RB Jordan Howard (shoulder) still hasn’t been cleared for contact, he doesn’t anticipate the injury to keep Howard out the rest of the season.
- Eagles LB Kamu Grugier-Hill reported concussion symptoms on Thursday and has been placed in the protocol. (Jeff McLane)
- Eagles signed WR Marken Michel to their practice squad. (NFLTR)
Giants QB Eli Manning will get at least one final start in New York on Monday against the Eagles and could find himself starting the remaining four games of the season depending on how severe first-round rookie QB Daniel Jones‘ ankle sprain is. Beyond that, no one knows what Manning’s future holds after 2019 and Manning himself isn’t offering any hints.
“I just try to take it one game at a time,” Manning said via SNY’s Ralph Vacchiano. “You never want to make decisions about your future while you’re living in the present and don’t know the circumstances of what could happen. You’ve just got to go out there and try to get a win for the Giants. I’ll analyze everything else after the season.”
- Vacchiano adds there’s not likely to be much of a market for Manning after the season, with potentially some backup jobs opening if he wants to play another year.
- ESPN’s Bill Barnwell believes Manning will retire after the season.
- Giants HC Pat Shurmur said the chances are “very slim” that Jones ends up being able to play Monday. (Vacchiano)
- Shurmur doesn’t know for sure if Jones will play again this season but he’s “optimistic” he will.
- Giants signed C Tanner Volson to their practice squad. (NFLTR)