Cardinals GM Steve Keim says there is “no exact science” when it comes to picking the right time to play rookie QB Josh Rosen.
“It’s a tough question,” Keim said, via AzCardinals.com. “When the time is right, Josh will have his opportunity.
“At the same time, you never know how a guy is going to be affected. Some guys have played too early and it has crippled their career. I’m not going to name names, but I think a lot of us can think of certain players. Then there are guys who have come in and had success right away. But usually it’s a rocky road.
“I don’t think there is any exact science to that,” Keim said. “But I think there is certainly a feeling of knowing when the time is right.”
- The Cardinals officially ruled out RT Andre Smith (elbow) and DT Olsen Pierre (toe) for Sunday’s game against the Bears.
- The Atlanta Falcons officially ruled out DE Takk McKinley (groin), RB Devonta Freeman (knee), DE Derrick Shelby (groin) and LB Corey Nelson (calf) for Week 3’s game against the Saints.
- The good news for the Falcons that WR Julio Jones (calf), CB Isaiah Oliver (ankle), WR Russell Gage (knee), and G Ben Garland (calf) will all be available.
- The Carolina Panthers announced Friday that G Trai Turner (concussion), S Da’Norris Searcy (concussion), TE Greg Olsen (foot) and WR Curtis Samuel (medical issue) are out for Sunday’s game against the Bengals.
- The Panthers also list CB Donte Jackson (groin) and WR Damiere Byrd (knee) as being questionable.
Seahawks OC Brian Schottenheimer admitted that he needs to do a better job first and foremost to help the team start winning games.
“I need to do a better job, I’ll be the first to say that,” Schottenheimer said, via Pro Football Talk.
Schottenheimer says that part of the issue is that he has too many voices in his ear.
“It’s just one of those things where you get a lot of thoughts and advice as a play caller,” Schottenheimer explains. “Not just from Pete [Carroll], from everybody — until it’s third-and-22 and you’re backed up on your one-yard line, you’re like, ‘Hey guys, what do you like? Hello? Hello?’ I think some of it’s me learning Pete a little bit. Hey, look, I get paid to call the plays, I need to do a better job. Sometimes it gets you off your game. When you’re looking at different things — it’s not Pete, it’s just different things. It’s hard to find a rhythm sometimes, but I need to be better and I will be.”
- Seahawks HC Pete Carroll said that S Earl Thomas didn’t practice on Friday due to personal reason. When asked about whether this could affect Thomas’ availability for Sunday’s game against the Cowboys, Carroll said: “We’ll see.” (Brady Henderson)
- Carroll added: “He’s got some other stuff going on we are working on.” (Bob Condotta)
- The Seattle Seahawks officially ruled out WR Doug Baldwin, LB K.J. Wright and G Ethan Pocic for Sunday’s game against the Cowboys and have C Justin Britt and LB Mychal Kendricks both listed as questionable.