- Per the Athletic’s Jon Machota, Cowboys HC Mike McCarthy said traded DE Everson Griffen clears snaps for other players: “It’s more about creating more opportunities for those young guys.”
- McCarthy doesn’t expect QB Andy Dalton to clear the concussion protocol until the “end of the week at the earliest.” (Michael Gehlken)
- NJ.com’s Mike Kaye outlines several potential trades for the Eagles, with the Eagles packaging a fifth-round pick with WR Alshon Jeffery to the Packers for a sixth-round pick and a conditional 2022 seventh. Green Bay gets some potential receiving help while the Eagles finally dump Jeffery.
- He also has the Eagles sending WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside and a sixth to the Jets for LB Avery Williamson and a seventh, giving both teams reinforcements at positions of weakness.
- Philadelphia could also send a conditional seventh to the Dolphins for RB Jordan Howard, who’s on the block and would be familiar depth for Philadelphia.
- Other running back options include sending a fifth-round pick to the Lions for Kerryon Johnson, who’s fallen out of the rotation in Detroit.
- Another outside-the-box move, per Kaye, would be trading a fifth-round pick to the Patriots for CB J.C. Jackson if they enter sell mode, as Jackson could be an upgrade at corner over Avonte Maddox.
- CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora names Williamson and Texans LB Zach Cunningham as potential linebacker targets for the Eagles.
- Jeffery has healed from his foot injury but remains day-to-day on the injury report with a calf issue. (Kaye)
- Eagles OL Jason Peters has been cleared to return to practice but HC Doug Pederson did not say whether he would play at guard or tackle. (Eliot Shorr-Parks)
- Peters appeared to start off practice at left tackle while his injury replacement, Jordan Mailata, was working on the right side. (Kaye)
- Pro Football Network’s Tony Pauline says his sense of the potential Giants players on the trade block is it would take a big offer for New York to part with TE Evan Engram.
- He adds the team is open to moving on from G Kevin Zeitler, as the Giants believe his play has slipped from last season and they really like fifth-round OL Shane Lemieux.
- Pauline writes the Giants would love to trade WR Golden Tate but his salary, particularly next year, might ward away any interest.
- SNY’s Ralph Vacchiano says the word is the Giants want more than a second-round pick for Engram, but others think a second would be enough and even a third-round pick as a part of a larger package could pry Engram away from New York.
- Because previous contract talks didn’t go anywhere and the team has DT Dexter Lawrence, Vacchiano notes the Giants are willing to part with DT Dalvin Tomlinson if they don’t think they can re-sign him.
- Vacchiano notes there’s only a remote chance the Giants could trade DL Leonard Williams but they should explore it since he’ll be difficult to re-sign.
- Giants OL coach Marc Colombo said they’re not considering benching first-round LT Andrew Thomas, as he needs the experience: “Part of growing as an offensive lineman is seeing it and being able to handle it on the fly. This experience is very valuable. He’s going to be here for a long time and he’s going to be a really good left tackle. But this is something he has to fight through.” (Vacchiano)
- Colombo has also seen a lot of growth from Lemieux and expects him to start getting more playing time: “Early on he was a little bit out of control. He wants to fight everyone. He’s a little bit out of control with his footwork. The last few weeks he’s really starting to be patient with everything.”
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!