- Cowboys HC Mike McCarthy said on 105.3 The Fan on Friday that he’s not in panic mode regarding LT Tyron Smith‘s neck injury at this point: “We’ll see how Tyron is. I’m not alarmed right now, but it’s something that we’re looking at. These are the experiences you need. It’s important for young players to play early in the season.” (Dallas Morning News)
- McCarthy also said of Smith: “I know he wants to go. He’s a pro. He’s doing everything possible with the training staff. We’ll see.” (Michael Gehken)
- As for Cooper, McCarthy said he “went through the mock game and everything today. I don’t foresee a setback there.” (Michael Gehken)
- Cowboys owner Jerry Jones made it sound like Smith and WR Amari Cooper (foot) will be game-time decisions on Sunday. (Jon Machota)
- Cooper said of his injury: “It’s a bruised foot. I hurt it in the game.” Regarding whether it will keep him from playing this Sunday, Cooper responded: “No.” (Michael Gehken)
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 2: CB Anthony Brown (ribs), T Tyron Smith (neck)
- Eagles’ RT Lane Johnson on his surgically repaired ankle: “I’m ready to go. It probably won’t be 100 percent this Sunday, but it should improve as the season progresses.” (Jeff McLane)
- Eagles HC Doug Pederson said that Nate Herbig will continue to start at right guard for them. (Jeff McLane)
- Eagles RB Miles Sanders said he’s playing this week: “I’m 100 percent, ready to go.” (Jimmy Kempski)
- According to Sanders, he could have played last week, but they opted to be cautious with his hamstring issue: “I could have played last week, but hamstrings are tricky.” …He needed to be careful to avoid re-injury. “What’s important is I’m playing this week.” (Zach Berman)
- Eagles DL Brandon Graham has cleared the concussion protocol and as long as he’s free up symptoms, he’ll play in Week 2.
- Zach Berman says there’s optimism that DE Derek Barnett will also make his debut.
- Regarding the news that the Eagles are hosting free agent RB Devonta Freeman for a visit, Mike Garafolo reports that it doesn’t sound like there’s anything agreed to yet and this could wind up being just a visit and workout in case they want to sign him at a later date.
- OUT for Week 2: WR Alshon Jeffery (foot)
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 2: DE Derek Barnett (hamstring), DE Brandon Graham (concussion)
Giants first-round OT Andrew Thomas said the coaching staff called out the offensive line unit for their play last weekend and they’re now redoubling their efforts to improve.
“We have a standard that we set ourselves,” Thomas said, via Ryan Dunleavy of the New York Post. “It wasn’t up to par. Everyone that blocks on the offense, we have pride in being able to run the ball. We’ve been practicing hard to make sure that things like that don’t happen again.”
- Giants HC Joe Judge made it clear that they aren’t given up on TE Evan Engram one bit in terms of being a complete tight end, including as a blocker. (Art Stapleton)
- Judge praised Engram for going 100 mph in practice and called him “an integral part” of the Giants’ offense.
- OUT for Week 2: S Adrian Colbert (quadricep)
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 2: LB Carter Coughlin (hamstring), WR Golden Tate (hamstring)
An NFC scout tells Dan Graziano that the dominance of Washington’s defensive line in Week 1 was an under-discussed topic the past week.
“They can bring them in waves,” the scout said. “The talent they have, if you can keep everybody fresh, it’s going to show up late in games.”
- OUT for Week 2: LB Cole Holcomb (knee)
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 2: LB Thomas Davis (calf), CB Kendall Fuller (knee)