- Charean Williams reported that Cowboys RB Gus Johnson suffered a separated shoulder in Thursday night’s preseason opener.
The Eagles announced three roster moves on Friday including signing DE Alfy Hill and waive/injured LB Brandon Hepburn and DE B.J. McBryde.
- Eagles HC Chip Kelly announced that QB Sam Bradford will not play in the team’s preseason open this week.
- Instead, Mark Sanchez gets the start and this could open the door for Tim Tebow to see a decent amount of playing time.
- According to Kelly, TE Zach Ertz is out for the preseason due to a core muscle injury, but he should be ready for Week 1.
- Ertz’s teammates mentioned that he will undergo a procedure to fix a minor groin tear. (Les Bowen)
Rams HC Jeff Fisher explained that they’re taking a long-term approach with first-round RB Todd Gurley this year.
“I’m not worried about week one or week two or week three or week four,” Fisher told USA TODAY Sports. “He’s going to be a franchise back. There is no way I’m ever going to subject him to harm’s way before we think he’s ready. You lose trust of all your players if you do that to one of them.”
GM Les Snead added that Gurley is likely past the point of added to risk further injuring his surgically repaired knee.
“He’s probably past the stage where there is danger to the ligament, but it’s all those things surrounding it. The quads, getting them back up to speed and firing, so that when he goes out and does something for four consecutive weeks, he doesn’t look sluggish,” Snead said. “It’s good to wait. But sometimes you do forget the human nature of it, because if Jeff and I are thinking long-term, [Gurley] still has to live it daily.”
- John Keim reports that free agent TE Zach Miller is not an option for the Redskins following the recent injury to starting TE Niles Paul.