- Jason Butt of The Athletic notes that while an edge rusher like Jadeveon Clowney or Shaq Barrett are financially unattainable, the Falcons could afford to sign a pass rusher such as Dante Fowler if they made some cuts.
- Butt also proposes a trade for Jaguars’ DE Yannick Ngakoue. However, he notes a safer bet would be for the Falcons to sign a veteran edge rusher like Mario Addison.
- As for the Falcons current free agents, Butt speculates that defensive linemen Tyeler Davison and Steven Means could return next season.
- He also notes that the futures of DE Adrian Clayborn, RB Kenjon Barner, CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson, S Sharrod Neasman, and FB Keith Smith are uncertain.
- Butt says that the writing is likely on the wall for P Matt Bosher and DT Jack Crawford, while the team is already planning to move on from LB Kemal Ishmael.
Packers QB Aaron Rodgers was asked in a radio interview on Friday for his thoughts on Green Bay possibly drafting a quarterback this year.
“Well look, I’m a realistic; I know where we’re at as an organization and where I’m at in my career,” Rodgers said, via ESPN.com. “I still feel like I have a ton of years left playing at a high level. I’m confident enough. I’ve always felt like it doesn’t matter who you bring in, they’re not going to be able to beat me out any time soon. I feel really confident about my abilities and my play.
“We’ve drafted guys over the years. I think my first year starting we drafted two quarterbacks in 2008. We’ve drafted various guys over the years. I understand the business and the nature of it, obviously love to bring guys in that are going to be able to play and compete right away. I understand it’s a business. I wouldn’t have a problem.”
Panthers free agent CB James Bradberry says that while he would play under the franchise tag, he’s hoping to get a long-term deal from a team this offseason.
“Ideal would be a long-term contract, just so I could have some security,” Bradberry said, via the Charlotte Observer. “That’s ideal.”
It’s worth mentioning that Carolina is not expected to franchise Bradberry and he’ll get an opportunity to test the open market.