- Michael Rothstein reports that Falcons OL Matt Gono recently underwent surgery for an undisclosed injury. However, it is not considered season-ending.
- The Athletic’s Joseph Person notes that Panthers DE Frank Herron was carted off Wednesday’s practice with a leg or foot injury.
- Panthers OL Cameron Erving said that while nothing is guaranteed obviously, he was told he’d get the first crack at the starting left tackle job: “My whole career I’ve kind of been labeled as a jack-of-all-trades. Now, I’m getting the opportunity to go out there and play a position I feel like I can excel at.” (Person)
- Panthers HC Matt Rhule said third-round OT Brady Christensen has been working at right tackle in practice. (Person)
- Rhule added he wants to keep LB Shaq Thompson fresh by cutting back on his playing time earlier in the season. (David Newton)
Saints DB C.J. Gardner-Johnson has a well-earned reputation as a trash talker who infuriates opponents and teammates alike. But the versatile Gardner-Johnson is also developing into a legitimate player in the New Orleans secondary as he better grasps what is being required of him in the defense.
“Not just to be there, but to understand why I’m there,” Gardner-Johnson said via the Athletic’s Larry Holder. “Why am I in the curl flat or why am I in the half or why do I have to fill this B gap? Because you’ve got 10 other guys depending on you. … Doing my job can make it easier on somebody else so they can do their job.”
- Sean Fazende reports Saints director of sports medicine Beau Lowery is leaving the team to take the same role at LSU.
- Albert Breer reports the Saints are among teams that have crossed a threshold of 85 percent for player vaccinations.
- Breer points out that the NFL has previously discussed relaxed protocols for teams over the 85 percent threshold.