Buccaneers WR Chris Godwin has managed to produce despite being buried on the depth chart the past few seasons in Tampa Bay behind numerous other options. Now that Godwin’s entering the season as the clear No. 2, expectations are sky-high, including Godwin’s own expectations for himself.
“I’m excited about this season,” Godwin said on NFL Network. “I’m excited about what the season could bring for myself. I’m excited about what the season could bring for the team. I feel like, if I go and do what I need to do, obviously as a receiver I feel like our goals could be over 1,000 yards. I feel like I could have been there last year. So, me just trying to get to that point, I think that me doing that will really help our team. I’m coming in every day just trying to work, trying to be the best receiver I can be. I know I have a lot of room to grow, but I think that’s the exciting thing. From what I’ve done so far I can still grow so much higher.”
- Buccaneers WR Bryant Mitchell underwent surgery in Wisconsin on Wednesday to repair his torn Achilles. (Jenna Laine)
- Bucs rookie OLB Anthony Nelson has an MCL sprain in his right knee, which is typically a 4-to-6-week injury. (Greg Auman)
Falcons QB Matt Ryan was sacked three times by the Jets during Thursday’s preseason game. Ryan says it was good for the offensive line to get those mistakes out of the way.
“Those kind of things happen,” Ryan said, via the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “This time of the year is about working on your process and making sure you’re getting some of those misses out of the way, whether it’s me, whether it’s our O-line, whether it’s our defense. Whoever it is. It’s about improving. I think we all will. We’ve got a great opportunity to work this coming week on what an actual in-season, preparation-type week is going to feel like. I anticipate us to have better execution next week.”
Ian Rapoport reports that Falcons S Damontae Kazee has a rib injury that is considered day-to-day. The good news for Kazee is that he didn’t sustain a rib fracture.
The New Orleans Superdome is set to undergo $450 million of upgrades after a financing plan was approved on Thursday that will keep the Saints in New Orleans for the foreseeable future, according to the Associated Press.
The Superdome will have its ramp system removed and replaced with elevators and escalators, club and suite levels expanded, new entry gates erected, concession stands added and access for people with disabilities improved.
The project is expected to require four years of work and should be ready for the facility to host the 2024 Super Bowl.