- ESPN’s Jenna Laine listed Buccaneers OL Evan Smith as a potential veteran cut. Tampa Bay loves Smith, but he missed the entire offseason program recovering from torn labrums in both hips.
- Former agent and CBS analyst Joel Corry says QB Jameis Winston could be a candidate for the $27 million non-exclusive franchise tag if Tampa Bay doesn’t sign him to a long-term deal following the season.
Former 49ers RB Roger Craig had strong encouragement for Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey when they bumped into each other earlier this offseason, saying McCaffrey could join Craig and Marshall Faulk as the only players to ever record 1,000 yards rushing and 1,000 yards receiving.
“You can do it,” Craig says he told McCaffrey, via ESPN’s David Newton. “You can join the 1,000-1,000 team.”
“He will definitely get the 1,000-1,000,” added Craig. “It’s in his DNA to make that happen. He’s got the tools. He’s built for it. His day will come.”
- According to Ramon Antonio Vargas of theNew Orleans Times-Picayune, Saints DT David Onyemata completed a pretrial diversion program and will not be prosecuted for misdemeanor marijuana possession.
- Onyemata was suspended one game by the NFL.
- ESPN’s Mike Triplett listed Saints WR Cameron Meredith as a potential veteran cut. Meredith missed the entire spring as he continues to recover from a 2017 knee injury.