- Ian Rapoport reports that the 49ers tried to sign “a few defensive tackles” in free agency but were not able to get agreements in place.
- Rapoport adds that 49ers’ first-round DT Javon Kinlaw slid to No. 14 overall due to his knee issues and San Francisco turned down trade inquiries for the 14th pick.
Cardinals GM Steve Keim told reporters that Isaiah Simmons‘ versatility made him a “pretty easy decision” for them at No. 8 overall.
“When you watch him on tape and you see him play the deep middle, the deep half, you see him play in the box, you see him blitz, rush the passer. He’s sort of a Swiss Army knife and does it all and we call that kind of a player an eraser in this league,” Simmons said, via Howard Balzer of SI.com.
- Field Yates of ESPN reports that the Rams converted $2.34 million of OT Rob Havenstein‘s base salary into a signing bonus and created $1.56 million in salary cap space for 2020.
- This comes after the Rams also reworked QB Jared Goff‘s contract to pick up $7 million of cap space.
- Los Angeles needed the cap room to finalize contracts with Leonard Floyd and A’Shawn Robinson and their 2020 draft class.