- Joint practices can sometimes lead to trades, as opposing teams get a closer look at each others players than they normally would. The Athletic’s Matt Barrows identifies several potential trades between the Broncos and 49ers, starting at receiver, where the Broncos could be interested in 49ers WR Richie James to shore up the end of the receiving corps and provide a viable return man.
- Barrows says the Broncos could also be interested in linebacker if they don’t think they could get someone like David Mayo or Malcolm Smith if they become available.
- Denver is also weak and dealing with injuries at tight end, where someone on the back of the 49ers depth chart like Levine Toilolo, Garrett Celek or UDFAs Tyree Mayfield and Daniel Helm could be interesting.
- Broncos OC Rich Scangarello is familiar with both 49ers QBs Nick Mullens and C.J. Beathard, though Barrows doesn’t think Denver will be interested unless one is waived.
- Barrows says 49ers secondary coach Joe Woods is fond of Broncos CB Isaac Yiadom from his time in Denver last year and the 49ers’ depth at corner is shaky due to injuries.
- Cam Inman writes that 49ers’ first-round DE Nick Bosa did light conditioning on Wednesday and is no longer sporting a walking boot after spraining his ankle eight days ago. Inman believes that Bosa playing in Week 1 “doesn’t seem out of question.”
- 49ers QB C.J. Beathard and DB Jimmie Ward returned to practice.
- According to the Athletic’s Vincent Bonsignore, Rams HC Sean McVay says the team has a “positive problem” deciding which players to keep with their depth at cornerback.
- Both starting outside cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters are entering contract years, which could influence the Rams to keep an extra younger player on the roster.
- Peters struggled at times last year, but Rams DC Wade Phillips says the team has worked to better put him in situations where his aggressiveness won’t hurt the team: “Now, we got him playing with more help in some situations, so he can take more chances. He knows when to and when not to.”
- Bonsignore writes that Rams CB Troy Hill is a lock after signing a two-year deal this offseason. Third-round CB David Long and starting nickel corner Nickell Robey-Coleman are also likely roster locks.
- Bonsignore says Darious Williams and Kevin Peterson have been impressive after neither played that much in 2018. Peterson missed the year with a knee injury and Williams played in one game after being claimed off waivers from the Ravens.
- Bonsignore adds not to count out CBs Donte Deayon or Dominique Hatfield because of their ability to play in the slot.
- NFL Media’s Gregg Rosenthal lists the Rams as a potential team to watch in a trade for Texans LB Jadeveon Clowney.
- NFL Media’s Gregg Rosenthal writes the Seahawks could offer the Texans a second-round pick for LB Jadeveon Clowney and see if they bite.
- Seattle needs help on their defensive front rushing the passer and has a history of trading with Houston, dealing for OT Duane Brown in 2017.
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!