49ers TE Garrett Celek mentioned that QB Blaine Gabbert has been “taking control” during the team’s offseason program.
“He’s definitely taking control,” Celek said last week, via CSN Bay Area. “Whoever’s at quarterback needs to take control and be our leader out there. And he’s definitely doing that. He’s making good decisions on the field. I think he’s definitely developing more and more as the days go on. But, right now, we’re all in the same boat learning this offense.”
Meanwhile, Colin Kaepernick is continuing to rehab from multiple offseason surgeries.
- Jay Drew reports that BYU TE Terenn Houk will participate in the 49ers’ minicamp this week.
- Joe Buscaglia believes that the Bills signing free agent OL Matt Slauson, who’s currently visiting with the team, would “serve as an immediate threat” to Jordan Mills, Seantrel Henderson, and Cyrus Kouandjio for the starting right tackle position.
- Cowboys invited former Eagles and Central Florida TE Justin Tukes to the team’s minicamp for a tryout.
- The Eagles announced that they’ve signed five draft picks including: RB Wendell Smallwood, CB Blake Countess, DB Jalen Mills, DE Alex McCalister and LB Joe Walker.
- Aaron Wilson reports that Minnesota-Mankato G Lawrence Walker will attend the Vikings’ minicamp this weekend on tryout basis.