According to audio released by WR Antonio Brown on his podcast of discussions between himself and agent Drew Rosenhaus, the Patriots were in contention at one point in a deal for Brown.
“The Steelers have been big communicators with me,” Rosenhaus said via NBC Sports’ Nick Goss. “We’ve talked a couple times every day about the teams. They know (playing in a winning environment is) important to us, and that’s why they opened it up for the Patriots as well. That’s a good development for us. They’re now willing to trade you to New England. So, now it’s a process of New England stepping up. That’s not great business for the Steelers to trade you to the world champs in the same conference.”
Rosenhaus later expressed confidence that the Patriots would be willing to sign Brown to a new contract if it got that far, saying, “I don’t think we’ll have any problem getting a deal done with these guys.”
Rosenhaus mentioned the Patriots, Eagles, Titans, Redskins, Bills and Raiders as teams that were interested in trading for Brown.
- Alabama RB Josh Jacobs will visit the Ravens, with the Eagles, Titans and Colts among other teams intrigued with him. (Jason La Canfora)
- Mississippi State DT Jeffery Simmons met with the Eagles, Jaguars, Browns and Colts among others at his pro day. (Tom Pelissero)
- South Carolina WR Deebo Samuel has meetings, dinners or workouts scheduled with the Chargers, Buccaneers, Bengals, Saints, Titans, Cowboys, Panthers, Broncos and 49ers. (NFL.com)
- Mississippi State DE Montez Sweat met with the Panthers, Eagles and Dolphins at his pro day. Sweat also has visits with the Buccaneers, Bills, Packers, Raiders, 49ers and others coming up. (Pelissero)
- Mississippi State S Johnathan Abram will visit with the Jets, Chargers, Buccaneers, Cowboys, Cardinals and Rams. (Pelissero)
- Florida S Chauncey Gardner-Johnson met with the Texans, Chargers and Seahawks before his pro day. (Tony Pauline)
- UCF DT Trysten Hill met with the Colts, Cowboys and Dolphins before his pro day. (Pauline)
- UCF OT Wyatt Miller has worked out for the Jets and will also visit the Bengals.
- Texas A&M TE Jace Sternberger has visits lined up with the Packers, Lions, Vikings, Cowboys, Texans, Seahawks and Chiefs. (Jared Tokarz)
- UNLV RB Lexington Thomas has visits scheduled with the Texans and Cardinals. (Jared Tokarz)
- Arkansas LB Dre Greenlaw has pre-draft visits with the Texans, Seahawks and 49ers. (Jared Tokarz)
- The Saints, Bills, Lions and Giants sent their offensive line coaches to UNC-Charlotte’s pro day to watch OL Nate Davis. (Gil Brandt)
- Utah State RB Darwin Thompson has private workouts set up with the Cardinals and Seahawks. (Nick Farabaugh)
Raiders HC Jon Gruden explained that trading DE Khalil Mack to the Bears helped enable them financially to acquire Antonio Brown, Trent Brown, Lamarcus Joyner, Vontaze Burfict, and Tyrell Williams this offseason.
“I don’t have time to think about who thinks it’s right or wrong,” Gruden said, via Scott Bair of NBC Sports. “We didn’t have much of a choice. If we did come up with the money we’re talking about (to pay Mack), we would not have the men we’re talking about now. We would not have Trent Brown. We would not have Antonio Brown and Lamarcus Joyner or Vontaze Burfict or Tyrell Williams.”
Raiders owner Mark Davis said he would “prefer not” to participate in HBO’s Hard Knocks and added that he jokingly told HC Jon Gruden that he would fire and re-hire him just to avoid it: “I prefer not to do it. Not this year. It’s just not the right time. I told Jon, ‘If they make us do it, I’m gonna fire you and then I’ll hire you right back’.” (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
- Raiders HC Jon Gruden confirmed that they have hired Jim O’Neil as defensive backs coach. (Vic Tafur)