- The Chicago Bears announced Friday that they’ve hired Mike Furrey to be their wide receivers coach.
- The Cincinnati Bengals announced Friday that they’ve hired Alex Van Pelt as QBs Coach, Daronte Jones as Secondary (Cornerbacks) Coach, and Matt Raich as Defensive Assistant.
- According to Jim Owczarski, the Bengals will retain Dan Pitcher as assistant QBs coach and Robert Cough as assistant OL coach.
Should Denver decline Thomas’ option, it would void the final two years of his contract and make him a free agent.
Renck says it’s a fair question whether the Broncos would prefer to allocate their money differently next year, as Thomas is owed $8.5 million for the 2018 season.
It’s also possible that the Broncos could approach Thomas about restructuring his contract.
- Senior Bowl director Phil Savage mentioned during an interview Friday that the Broncos’ coaching staff specifically requested that Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield be placed on their team. (Andy Staples)
- The Broncos declined to attend Mayfield’s final game at Oklahoma knowing that they would have an opportunity to work with him at the Senior Bowl, so this shouldn’t come as a big surprise, especially given that they’ve already done a lot of work on this year’s quarterback prospects.
- Pro Football Talk reports that Steelers WR Antonio Brown is expected to be a game-time decision on Sunday, as his calf injury is still an issue.
- However, Jason La Canfora reports that Brown has been battling stomach flu and is back at the Steelers’ facility on Saturday.
- According to La Canfora, the Steelers are “very optimistic” Brown will play against the Jaguars.