Buccaneers TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins told reporters on Tuesday that HC Dirk Koetter’s decision to kick him out of practice was “wake-up call.”
“[Coach Koetter] won’t settle for me being average or good. He won’t even settle for me being great. He wants me to be special,” Seferian-Jenkins said, via Jenna Laine of ESPN. “I really thank God every single day he kicked me out of practice. It was really a wake-up call.”
Seferian-Jenkins added that he isn’t concerned about not being the team’s No. 1 tight end on their depth chart right now.
“It is what it should be right now. Whatever it is, the coaches know it. I’m a player, the coaches coach,” Seferian-Jenkins said. “I don’t care what the depth chart is. I don’t care what I’m on. I’m going to enjoy it and I’m going to seize every opportunity that I get, because that’s the most important thing.”
- Mike Garafolo reports that Buccaneers G J.R. Sweezy (back) got a positive report from the specialist he recently visited and his hoping he can return soon.
- The Packers are activating TE Jared Cook, ILB Sam Barrington and WR Ty Montgomery from the active/PUP list tonight, but not WR Jordy Nelson. (Ryan Wood)
- Aaron Wilson reports that the Packers have signed LS Jesse Schmitt.
- Wilson also reports that undrafted free agent RB Jermichael Selders worked out for Packers executive Alonzo Highsmith on Sunday.
- Ian Rapoport reports that the “initial exams” suggest the lower leg injury suffered by Patriots WR Julian Edelman is not serious.
- Edelman reportedly slammed his helmet down as he left Tuesday’s practice with an apparently left leg injury, so this is clearly good news for him.
- Jeff Howe, citing a source, reports that Patriots DE Rob Ninkovich is expected to miss “weeks not months” with his torn triceps injury, which leaves the possibility for him to return sometime in September.
- According to Jason La Canfora, there’s “nothing going” between the Steelers and WR Antonio Brown regarding a contract extension.
- La Canfora says that the two sides are not talking with the team being “super unlikely” to entertain new deal right now.