Home Broncos NFL Notes: Mike Smith, Broncos, Giants, Lions & Saints
- According to Ian Rapoport, former Falcons HC Mike Smith is a hot defensive coordinator target for NFL teams and has several options to choose from.
- However, Rapoport adds that the only question that remains is if he wants to coach in 2016.
- According to Ian Rapoport, Broncos QB Brock Osweiler (knee) will practice on Friday and will be Denver’s primary backup for Sunday’s Divisional Round game.
- Alex Marvez reports the Giants are keeping safeties coach Dave Merritt on the coaching staff.
- Lions have hired Jaguars director of college scouting Kyle O’Brien as their new director of player personnel. (Kyle Meinke)
- Adam Caplan reports that OL coach Bret Ingalls is no longer with the team and offensive assistant Kyle DeVan has left New Orleans for a college coaching opportunity.
- Mike Triplett of ESPN reports that TE coach Dan Roushar will have a new role next season. Triplett assumes that Roushar will be named the team’s new offensive line coach.
- Saints DBs coach Wesley McGriff has also left the team for an opportunity at the college level, per Caplan.
- Joel Corry of CBS Sports mentions that the Saints could work around QB Drew Brees‘ $30 million cap figure for 2016 by re-working his contract.
- Corry believes the Saints could realistically gain $10 million in cap space for 2016 by giving Brees a contract extension. However, guaranteed money would be the key issue for this situation.