- Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News writes that this is a bad year for the Giants to target a replacement for QB Eli Manning in the draft, and they have other areas of need to address.
“A franchise quarterback this year? I don’t think there is any,” ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper said. “I thought (Florida State’s) Jameis Winston would be. Now as a third-year sophomore he’s fallen. (Oregon’s Marcus) Mariota’s not. There’s really no franchise quarterback in this draft, even though Mariota could go No. 1. He’s not Andrew Luck. He’s not in the elite of the elite category.”
As for other team needs, Vacchiano mentions offensive line, a pass rushing defensive end, a safety, and possibly another receiver as positions that could be considered.
- Rich Cimini of ESPN would be surprised if the Jets made a call to former Steelers HC Bill Cowher this offseason.
- However, Cimini mentions that if Cowher were to return to the NFL and take a job in New York, it would be with the Giants, not the Jets.
- Cimini believes it would be a “no-brainer” for the Jets to take quarterbacks Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston if they were available by the time New York is on the clock.
- Although, Cimini admits that he would think twice about trading up Mariota or Winston.
- Cimini adds that the Jets would have to “think hard” about taking WR Amari Cooper if a quarterback wasn’t a available.
- Jets are expected to have “roughly” $40 million in cap space for 2015, according to Cimini.
- As for potential landing spots for current HC Rex Ryan, Cimini lists the Falcons, Raiders and Dolphins as teams to watch.
- Cimini does not expect the Jets to retain GM John Idzik after this season.
- The Jets ruled out DL Muhammad Wilkerson for Week 15’s game due to a toe injury.
- Saints tried out WR Michael Campbell, WR Danny Coale, K Derek Dimke, K Garrett Hartley, K Zach Hocker, K Dustin Hopkins, WR Ifeanyi Momah and WR Willie Snead. (Aaron Wilson)