- Albert Breer reports that an unnamed contending team discussed internally the idea of moving on from a prominent and productive veteran receiver on a reasonable contract and replacing him with Jeremy Maclin.
- An NFC scout tells Breer of Maclin: “I don’t think he’s a true No. 1, but he still has juice left. Surprisingly, he made the contested catch look easy last year.”
- Former Eagles and 49ers HC Chip Kelly was in attendance Thursday for the Dolphins practice. (Armando Salguero)
Steelers LT Alejandro Villanueva mentioned that he’s still trying to get a long-term deal done with Pittsburgh, as opposed to playing out the 2017 season under his one-year, $605,000 exclusive rights deal.
“I’m obviously trying to be a Steeler but it’s something that my agent and the front office will work to sort out,” said Villanueva, via ESPN.com.
Villanueva added that he enjoys being a Steeler, but plans to do whatever his agent tells him in regards to his contract situation.
“Being part of the Steelers is unbelievable, it’s awesome … but being an employer in the NFL is somewhat challenging,” Villanueva said. “Obviously I don’t have a part or a say in all of the things that go on. I’ve taken orders my whole life, right now I’m working with a really good agent, I’ll do whatever he tells me to do, you guys can ask him questions about my future. I have no really good answers at this point.”
- Titans HC Mike Mularkey announced that WR Tajae Sharpe suffered a foot injury last week and underwent surgery. The expectation is that Sharpe will return for the start of training camp.
- Meanwhile, Mularkey also mentioned that RB DeMarco Murray had a hand procedure for a minor, nagging injury and will be out of a cast by Monday.