On Friday, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones explained during an interview with 105.3 The Fan that it’s typically very difficult to make meaningful change in the NFL.
“No, I don’t really [have any comment],” Jones said when asked about Roger Goodell‘s new extension, via Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News. “We’re having a very important [owners] meeting here in Dallas next week beginning Wednesday. That’s very meaningful. I’m looking forward to that. That’ll be very meaningful as we go forward.
“One of the things that I think that has been mentioned is any role that I might have had in the extension of Roger. As you know, I’ve been on both ends of it as far as any criticism. It’s been my experience in 30 years in the NFL that to make change and to make positive change — every time we all strive to make the NFL better, I include every owner with that — it’s hard. It’s very, very hard. If you really want to make some changes, you usually end up getting a lot of criticism along the way. It’s happened every time with me when we’ve had meaningful change. … We’ll see how it goes forward, but there’s nothing that has surprised me here.”
Jones added that the upcoming owners meeting will be very important, as they try to address a number of issues facing the league.
“This is a meeting where several things will be discussed as to the extension as well as how we go forward and address many of the issues that we have,” Jones said. “There’s never been a time in the NFL when we didn’t have issues. Certainly this is no exception. On the other hand, the timing of the extension, it gives rise to how we address a lot of the things that we can do better in the NFL.
“This meeting will be an important meeting as to that, looking forward to improving the NFL.”
- The Dallas Cowboys officially list CB Orlando Scandrick, RT La’el Collins, DL David Irving, WR Brice Butler, DT Maliek Collins, LB Justin Durant and LT Tyron Smith all as questionable for Week 14.
- According to Todd Archer, LB Sean Lee will return for Sunday’s game against the Giants.
- Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com spoke with some sources around the league regarding some candidates worth watching for the team’s GM vacancy.
- According to Raanan, the names to monitor in the coming weeks include: Eliot Wolf (Packers), Nick Caserio (Patriots), Scott Pioli (Falcons), Trent Kirchner (Seahawks), Dave Gettleman (ex-Panthers GM), Louis Riddick (ESPN analyst), and internal candidates Kevin Abrams and Marc Ross.
- Packers rookie CB Kevin King told reporters that he will undergo shoulder surgery on Tuesday the procedure will be performed by Dr. James Andrews. (Rob Demovsky)
- King mentioned that his shoulder kept popping out of the socket more frequently so the decision was ultimately made to shut him down for the season.
- The Packers officially ruled out CB Demetri Goodson for Sunday’s game against the Browns and have DT Quinton Dial, G Lucas Patrick, and OLB Nick Perry as questionable.