Ian Rapoport reports that the Ravens have reached an agreement on a one-year contract with ILB Rolando McClain.
Rapoport adds that the deal is said to be worth $700,000, but also includes playing time incentives.
Several reports have already mentioned that McClain will have to pass a physical before the deal is finalized, but that isn’t expected to be an issue.
McClain will also have to meet with GM Ozzie Newsome and HC John Harbaugh regarding the team’s expectations for him next season.
ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Ravens are nearing a deal with free agent ILB Rolando McClain.
- Schefter adds that the two sides are scheduled to meet today “to see if they can iron out unresolved issues.”
- Aaron Wilson reports that the discussions are “ongoing” and it remains a fluid situation.
- Wilson adds that McClain would most likely join the Ravens before the start of their offseason program, assuming that they reach an agreement.
Reports from recent days suggested that the Bengals mulled over the idea of trading for McClain, but nothing ever came of it.
Baltimore has already added some free agent pieces like Elvis Dumervil, Chris Canty and Michael Huff to their defense, but they’re clearly in need of some help at inside linebacker, now that they’re without Ray Lewis and Dannell Ellerbe.
The Ravens could be a great fit for the former No. 8 overall pick.
Raiders LB Rolando McClain went unclaimed on Monday and is now a free agent.
- Geoff Hobson is hearing that the Bengals previously considered a trade for McClain, but they don’t appear to be interest at this point in time.
- Ian Rapoport reports that McClain already has three offers, with two other teams showing interest as well.
- Rapoport adds that McClain is being helped by the fact that his agent previously sought a trade out of Oakland.
- Pro Football talk reports that a league source has informed him that “multiple teams” have already expressed interest in McClain.
We have no specifics as to who could be interested, but the Bengals could be a team to watch given that they’re in need of an inside linebacker and former Raiders head coach Hue Jackson is a part of their coaching staff.
ESPN’s Adam Scehfter reports that the Raiders are waiving LB Rolando McClain today.
- Steve Corkran mentioned earlier in the week that the Raiders were still planning on releasing or trading McClain at some point.
Here’s a statement released by McClain following his release.
“I’d like to thank the Raiders for giving me an opportunity to play in the NFL. I’m disappointed that it hasn’t worked out better, but I’m very excited and thankful. I will miss my teammates and wish them and the Raiders organization good luck going forward.”
McClain has base salaries of $4.005 million for 2013 and another $5.805 million in 2014 coming his way, so it seems likely that he’ll go unclaimed.
He’s a former No. 8 overall pick who’s still only 23 years old, so it will be interesting to see what kind of market develops for him in the next few weeks. Obviously, he comes with some serious baggage, but teams like the Bengals have done a great job of getting troubled players to play key roles for them.
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!