Bill Barnwell offers five roster moves he would like to see the Bears make this offseason.
- At the top of the list, and probably the most obvious move for the Bears, is to franchise WR Alshon Jeffery.
- From there, Barnwell would release veteran TE Martellus Bennett and consider a blocking tight end like Craig Stevens.
- Barnwell recommends the Bears target Broncos free agents such as DE Malik Jackson and LB Danny Trevathan.
- Barnwell believes Chicago needs to get things figured out at cornerback. Re-signing Tracy Porter could be an option, but Barnwell also suggests targeting Janoris Jenkins or Prince Amukamara.
- Interestingly enough, Barnwell thinks they should consider the idea of re-signing Matt Forte, even though they announced that they were going to allow him to depart in free agency.
Here are five roster moves from ESPN’s Bill Barnell that could make sense for the Browns.
- This probably doesn’t come as much of a surprise, but Barnwell believes it’s time to cut ties QB Johnny Manziel and start anew.
- Barnwell suggests re-signing RT Mitchell Schwartz and preventing him from departing in free agency.
- An interesting recommendation from Barnwell is to use the franchise tag on S Tashaun Gipson.
- Two more roster cuts Barnwell believes would make sense for Cleveland is to release
- WRs Dwayne Bowe and Brian Hartline, which would create $6.8 million in cap space for them.
- If the Broncos can’t re-sign QB Brock Osweiler, Barnwell thinks they should make a run at signing him.
Bill Barnwell takes a look at five roster moves he believes the Packers should make this offseason.
- The first thing Barnwell recommends is not changing their overall approach to building their roster, despite a report that Mike McCarthy was “fed up” with GM Ted Thompson‘s approach towards free agency.
- Green Bay has already confirmed that they plan to move Clay Matthews back to outside linebacker, which Barnwell agrees with. In terms of replacing Matthews, Barnwell mentions they could either look to the draft or consider veterans like Derrick Johnson, Danny Trevathan and Jerrell Freeman.
- Barnwell is also among those who believe the Packers would be smart to sign Bears RB Matt Forte in free agency.
- Another recommendation from Barnwell is to start working on new contracts for veteran guards Josh Sitton and T.J. Lang.
- Assuming the price is reasonable, Barnwell believes the Packers should consider re-signing CB Casey Hayward.
Bill Barnwell takes a look at five roster moves he believes would make sense for the Steelers.
- According to Barnwell, Signing G David DeCastro to an extension is at the top of the list. The benefit of addressing DeCastro is that they would actually pick up some cap room while ensuring that they retain a core player for the foreseeable future.
- Another extension candidate for the Steelers is veteran LB Lawrence Timmons. Barnwell admits this may not be an idea move, but it’s actually required, considering that he has a cap figure of $15.1 million for the 2016 season.
- Barnwell believes Pittsburgh should consider releasing CB Cortez Allen, K Shaun Suisham and TE Heath Miller. In total, they could free up $10 million in cap space if they designate Allen as a post-June 1 release.
- Barnwell would attempt to re-sign LT Kelvin Beachum, which could be tough with him in position to test the open market.
- The last move Barnwell recommends is trying to sign RB Le’Veon Bell to a contract extension, which could come at a somewhat discounted rate, considering that his 2015 season ended after a knee injury.