Despite appearing destined for an ugly, contentious divorce earlier this season, the relationship between Bengals OT Cordy Glenn and the team has improved enough that Glenn could actually start this week at left tackle. Glenn was suspended and fined by the team after a dispute over his recovery from a concussion turned volatile, but both sides appear to be willing to make an effort to move past it, particularly considering Cincinnati’s offensive line woes.
“He knows what’s at stake right now,” Bengals OL coach Jim Turner said via the Athletic’s Jay Morrison. “In the end, when you’re a player, you answer to the team. So he’s answering to those players in the locker room. He’s answering to all of us, of course. We wouldn’t be doing this if we didn’t think he was ready to step up and answer that. I’m sure it’s been frustrating for him. He hasn’t been in there. It’s been frustrating for all of us. To have that type of asset there and not being able to use him is frustrating.”
- ESPN’s Bill Barnwell believes the Bengals will end up re-signing RB Joe Mixon given their historic commitment to extending their own players, though it could happen after 2020 instead of this offseason.
- Browns HC Freddie Kitchens confirmed the team cut WR Antonio Callaway because of repeated violations of team policy: “Unfortunately Antonio didn’t do the things I or we expect from him off the field. I like Antonio a lot. Wish nothing but the best for him moving forward.” (Scott Petrak)
- Browns promoted S J.T. Hassell to their active roster. (NFLTR)
- Browns signed S A.J. Howard to the practice squad.
- Per NFL Media’s Mike Garafolo, Ravens HC John Harbaugh said Rams S Eric Weddle wouldn’t be able to tell his new team much about the Ravens that they couldn’t already see on film.
- Ravens signed OT Marcus Applefield to their practice squad.
- ESPN’s Bill Barnwell says the Steelers will likely let RB James Conner play out his rookie deal through the 2020 season before offering an extension despite wanting to avoid another running back contract standoff, as Conner has been unable to stay healthy.
- Steelers promoted C Patrick Morris to their active roster. (NFLTR)
- Steelers C Maurkice Pouncey was officially placed on the suspended list.