- The Athletic’s Paul Dehner Jr. says his sources indicate Bengals DT Geno Atkins should be back for Week 3 against the Eagles. Atkins hurt his shoulder at the end of camp and was already ruled out for Thursday night’s game against the Browns.
- Dehner notes Bengals RT Bobby Hart likely has a few more weeks of leash before the team considers benching him. He had a rough day in pass protection Sunday but was solid in the run game.
- Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio points out there’s no guarantee Browns QB Baker Mayfield keeps his job for the rest of the year over backup QB Case Keenum if he continues to struggle.
- Keenum and Browns HC Kevin Stefanski were an effective pairing in 2017 when Keenum took over as Minnesota’s starting quarterback and led them to the NFC title game. Stefanski was the QB coach that year and Keenum threw for over 3,500 yards, 22 touchdowns and just 7 interceptions in 14 starts.
- Florio also makes the case that the Browns should consider trading away WR Odell Beckham Jr. Florio mentions that the fit between the Browns and Beckham is not what either envisioned and he has yet to click with QB Baker Mayfield.
- For what it’s worth, Florio says the Patriots would make the most sense as a trade partner if they were to make him available.
- Per ESPN’s Jamison Hensley, Ravens second-round RB J.K. Dobbins led the running back rotation in Week 1. There’s no guarantee that holds in Week 2, according to OC Greg Roman: “There’s no exact science there. It’ll be different every week. We like to keep people guessing.”
- With regards to the negotiations with LT Ronnie Stanley, the Athletic’s Jeff Zrebiec talked to former NFL GM Randy Mueller who thinks the Ravens will argue Texans LT Laremy Tunsil‘s $22 million per year deal isn’t a good barometer for Stanley because the Texans clearly overpaid due to the massive trade they swung to acquire Tunsil.
- However, CBS Sports analyst and former agent Joel Corry said Tunsil is the closest comparison to Stanley given they both entered the league the same year and have performed similarly, with Stanley arguably the better player.
- Corry adds Ravens QB Lamar Jackson‘s next deal is going to start with a four and it’s just a question of how much he’ll exceed Texans QB Deshaun Watson‘s $39 million a year: “They don’t necessarily have to do it next year, but waiting is only going to cost them more money. Then you’ll probably have (Dak) Prescott on the books and that could be an insane deal when all is said and done.”
- Stanley (hip) returned to practice Thursday. (Hensley)
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!