- Per Adam Beasley and Barry Jackson, Dolphins HC Brian Flores left open the possibility of CB Xavien Howard missing Week 1 as he works back from a long stint on the PUP and COVID-19 list following offseason knee surgery: “A lot of people take those things for granted. He doesn’t. He’s working diligently to get those reps. He’s talked about it and he’s anxious to get in there because he knows he needs them. If we feel like he’s ready to go week 1, we will let him go. If we feel like he’s not, we will make the decision when he gets to that point.”
- The Dolphins are also being cautious with WR DeVante Parker as he comes back from a minor injury: “He’s working every day to get back out there. When you’re out of a couple days, you don’t want to lose [anything from a conditioning standpoint]. He’s built up a good amount so that hopefully he can get right back to where he was.”
- Miami worked second-round OL Robert Hunt into the starting lineup on the right side. Fourth-round G Solomon Kindley and veteran OL Jesse Davis had been working with the first group.
- Dolphins QB Ryan Fitzpatrick returned to practice Monday after an absence following the death of his mother. (Cameron Wolfe)
- The Dolphins reached out to DB Logan Ryan, but the $7.5 million he ended up signing with the Giants for would have been too rich for Miami’s taste. (Jackson)
- Manish Mehta says Jets ownership gave GM Joe Douglas a hard time over the failed one-year, $8.4 million deal given to C Ryan Kalil last year and placed additional cash flow restrictions on Douglas this offseason.
- ESPN’s Rich Cimini lists Jets S Marcus Maye, WR Chris Herndon, LB Blake Cashman, WR Chris Hogan and Perine as players on the rise after a strong camp.
- On the flip side, Cimini says second-round WR Denzel Mims, third-round OLB Jabari Zuniga, fifth-round CB Bryce Hall, CB Quincy Wilson, OT Chuma Edoga and QB David Fales as seeing their stock drop, with the rookies all missing practice due to injury.
- Per ESPN’s Mike Reiss, Patriots HC Bill Belichick didn’t shed any light on when the team will announce its starting quarterback: “I don’t know. When we are ready to do it, we’ll do it.”
- Belichick mentioned OL Jermaine Eluemunor has “shown a lot of growth” in camp. Eluemunor moved from guard to right tackle and is looking like the top candidate to start in place of Marcus Cannon.
- The Athletic’s Jeff Howe notes Patriots WR Jakobi Meyers appears to have some ground to make up after making the roster as an undrafted free agent last year.
- Howe adds K Nick Folk strengthened his lead on the kicking competition during Sunday’s practice.
- And NFL personnel evaluator mentioned the Patriots as a potential destination for former Jaguars RB Leonard Fournette. (Jason La Canfora)
- Patriots QB Cam Newton had an excused absence from practice on Monday. (Howe)
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!