- Per the Athletic’s Zak Keefer, Colts DT Grover Stewart was thrilled to sign a three-year, $30 million extension to stay in Indianapolis: “I still don’t believe it. When I got the call, man, I didn’t even know what to say. All kinds of emotions, legs were shaking, felt like I was gonna give out.”
- The Colts aren’t ruling P Rigoberto Sanchez out for the rest of the season despite undergoing surgery to remove a cancerous tumor. There’s hope Sanchez could return to kick for the team without a prolonged absence. (George Bremer)
Following the firing of GM Dave Caldwell, Jaguars’ HC Doug Marrone spoke to the media about the possibility that he will no longer have a job after the season.
“We have an owner that wants a good product for our fans, wants to win, and we haven’t done it,” Marrone said, via Eugene Frenette of The Florida Times-Union. “When that happens, these types of decisions are going to be made. It’s unfortunate. It’s part of the profession. We have a good relationship.”
- Greg Auman of The Athletic says the Jaguars’ GM position is very inviting, due to the fact that the team has the most cap space of any NFL team, including more than double the space of 27 teams.
- The Jags also have a multitude of future draft picks and will likely have the ability to draft a player such as Ohio State QB Justin Fields in the 2021 NFL Draft.
- Auman lists five potential candidates including Colts’ Assistant GM Ed Dodds, former Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff, ESPN broadcaster Louis Riddick, Seahawks’ executive Alonzo Highsmith, and Jaguars’ interim GM Trent Baalke.
- Albert Breer of SI says the suspension of Texans WR Will Fuller was not well-timed for the impending free agent, who is looking to cash in during the 2021 free agency period.
- Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle says that without CB Bradley Roby, the Texans are down to Phillip Gaines and Vernon Hargreaves at cornerback and may need to shift S Lonnie Johnson to cornerback.
- Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio reports the Texans didn’t know about Fuller’s six-game suspension until his agent told them Monday.
- Florio points out that means they didn’t know about it when they decided to cut WR Kenny Stills.