Dolphins OC Chan Gailey was noncommittal when asked whether he’d like to return to Miami for the 2021 season.
“This has been an unusual year to say the least,” Gailey said, via Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald. “The experience has been like no other I’ve ever had, that’s for sure. I think somebody — maybe it was you — asked me about this last week. I’m thinking about how to go up and beat Buffalo. That’s what I’m thinking about. I’m not thinking about anything else right now. How can I help this football team go beat Buffalo.”
Gailey added that his previous answer reflected the unusual nature of 2020 with COVID-19 and not that he’s unsure of his future with the Dolphins.
“No,” Gailey said. “I was just saying — somebody asked me how the experience was this year. It was just the most unusual experience I’ve ever been through.”
- Dolphins HC Brian Flores also declined to offer any clarity on Gailey’s future, saying the current focus is on Week 17’s game against the Bills. (Barry Jackson)
- Joe Schad of The Palm Beach Post believes that the Dolphins would explore their options to trade down, even if they ended the year with the third overall pick.
- Possible draft picks for the Dolphins, according to Schad, include Oregon T Penei Sewell, Penn State LB Micah Parsons, Alabama WR Devonta Smith, Alabama WR Jaylen Waddle, and LSU WR Ja’Marr Chase.
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 17: WR Jakeem Grant (ankle), G Solomon Kindley (knee, foot), DE Shaq Lawson (shoulder), WR DeVante Parker (hamstring)
Jets’ QB Sam Darnold knows that he didn’t give the best performance he could this season, but he insists that he still has a bright future as a starting quarterback whether it is with the Jets or with another team.
“I absolutely believe my best days are ahead,” Darnold said, via Rich Cimini of ESPN. “I know we all like to think of hypotheticals and what-ifs, but I’m a Jet right now. I love being here. I love the guys in the locker room. I love going to work every single day here. I think there are stretches where I didn’t play nearly as well as I should’ve, and I’ll be the first to admit it.”
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 17: CB Blessuan Austin (illness), CB Javelin Guidry (knee), WR Jeff Smith (shoulder)
Patriots QB Cam Newton on players needing preseason and preparation in order to have a solid understanding of new schemes and playbooks.
“I’ve been in this league long enough to kind of always downplay, like ‘Man we don’t need preseason,” Newton said, per Michael Giardi. “We don’t need OTA’s. We don’t need; we’re ready to go.’ Yeah, maybe if I was still in the system I came from. But learning this system, yeah, you just need more time, you need more real reps to kind of go through because there is only but so much you can kind of makeup. You could put the eyelashes on. You could do your eyebrows. You could put your lipstick on. The mascara. And the lip liner. But, sooner or later it’s going to rain. And the real true you will show. And unfortunately, it showed – not necessarily in ways that I wanted to.”
- Patriots’ impending free-agent RB James White said he would “of course” be open to re-signing with New England. (Ryan Hannable)
- Patriots’ impending free-agent DT Lawrence Guy said it would be “amazing” to re-sign with New England this offseason but is still unsure if he’ll receive an extension. (Doug Kyed)
- OUT for Week 17: C David Andrews (calf), RB Damien Harris (ankle), G Shaquille Mason (calf)
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 17: LB Ja’Whaun Bentley (shoulder), CB Justin Bethel (neck), DT Adam Butler (shoulder), LB Shilique Calhoun (knee), LS Joe Cardona (ankle), DT Byron Cowart (back), T Jermaine Eluemunor (ankle), K Nick Folk (back), DT Lawrence Guy (shoulder), LB Terez Hall (ankle), T Justin Herron (ankle), CB J.C. Jackson (knee), LB Anfernee Jennings (shoulder), S Devin McCourty (shoulder), WR Donte Moncrief (thigh), WR Matt Slater (knee)