With Colts WR Devin Funchess on injured reserve for at least half the season, the next man up for Indianapolis is WR Deon Cain. A sixth-round pick in 2018 who had an impressive preseason before tearing his ACL and missing his rookie year, Cain has continued to flash despite being buried on the Colts depth chart. Despite being a couple of inches shorter at 6-2, Cain will try and replicate what Funchess brought to the offense.
“Honestly, we like Deon for a lot of the same reasons we like Funch,” Colts HC Frank Reich said via Joel Erickson of the Indianapolis Star. “Yeah, they are different types of receivers, but Deon, we feel like, is a big play receiver, I mean he has that in his game, and I just think this is a great opportunity for him.”
- Colts K Adam Vinatieri, who missed two field goals and an extra point in a game Indianapolis lost in overtime by six, doesn’t feel like he’s kicking for his job more than at any other point in his career: “Write whatever you want, but I think every single day, every person (in here) is playing for their job.” (Zak Keefer)
Jaguars HC Doug Marrone admitted that they are “banged up” on their defensive line and he’s unsure of who will play in Week 2.
“We’re banged up up front, and we don’t really know who’s going to be playing up front for us,” said Marrone, via John Oehser of the team’s official site.
“I’m going to take it day by day,” Marrone said. “If I sit up here and I say it’s not a concern, that’s bs. If that was the case, we’d list them as resting. It’s always a concern. Sometimes, you have concern with, ‘Hey, am I going to be able to get them on the field?’
- Regarding Jaguars OT Cam Robinson‘s knee hyperextension, Marrone said the lineman is currently limited, but was able to go through individual drills on Wednesday: “He’s going to be limited and we’ll see how he does in individual. That’s what we’ll do today. We’re taking this period by period; that’s probably the best way to look at it. We’re going to look at him in individual and we could shut him down or keep him going. I don’t know how it’s going to be.”
- Texans QB Alex McGough said he had a “tough decision” after the Jaguars contacted him after Nick Foles‘ injury, but decided to stay with Houston. (Aaron Wilson)
- Texans G Tytus Howard (broken finger) said wearing a cast will not affect his blocking. (Aaron Wilson)
- Texans signed DB Cornell Armstrong to their practice squad. (NFLTR)