- ESPN’s Bill Barnwell mentions the Broncos receiver-heavy draft might signal the end for WR DaeSean Hamilton.
- Broncos signed DT Christian Covington. (NFLTR)
“It just made sense,” Lynn said. “Losing a franchise guy, a guy that’s been the guy here for 15, 16 years, and picking sixth? Hell, I don’t want to ever be picking sixth again. So if I’m already picking this high, and there’s a quarterback we like, we might as well just get the quarterback now. We knew Phil was towards the end. And you say the end, Tom Brady’s 43—these guys are playing until they’re senior citizens. We felt like with the crop that was coming out this year, this would be the time to get a young quarterback in here, and even if Phil was here, he could sit behind Phil for a year or two and learn.”
- There were no shortage of draft rumors this year, but Telesco told Pat McAfee they really didn’t affect the team as they were locked in on a quarterback: “We felt great about all three quarterbacks who went in the Top 6. If you’re going to pick this high and there’s a potential franchise quarterback, you have to take him.”
- The Dolphins were linked to both eventual No. 5 pick, QB Tua Tagovailoa, Herbert, and even trading up for an offensive tackle, which kept Telesco busy preparing for different scenarios: “Every rumor I heard, I went through my head of how would we handle this if this happened. Now, the whole, Miami taking a tackle at 3, maybe they really were, I just didn’t believe that one.”
- ESPN’s Bill Barnwell writes the Chargers’ move to trade up for LB Kenneth Murray could mean LB Denzel Perryman is on his way out.
- Barnwell adds Los Angeles could save $1.7 million in cap space by cutting Perryman but the team might be able to find a trade partner.
- Albert Breer notes the Chiefs were comfortable selecting RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire in the first round due to their need for a running back and the fact that linebackers such as Kenneth Murray, Patrick Queen, and Jordyn Brooks had already been drafted.
- ESPN’s Bill Barnwell thinks Chiefs RB Darrel Williams could be the odd running back out for Kansas City.
- NFL Media’s Tom Pelissero points out the Chiefs gave UDFA P Tommy Townsend $82,500 guaranteed, including a $7,500 signing bonus, while saving $2 million by releasing P Dustin Colquitt.
- The Chiefs signed undrafted rookie OL Yasir Durant to a contract that includes $150,000 guaranteed and a $10,000 signing bonus. (Aaron Wilson)
- Their deal for undrafted Michigan CB Lavert Hill includes $110,000 guaranteed and a $10,000 signing bonus. (Aaron Wilson)
- According to Albert Breer, the Raiders attempted to trade down from No. 19 overall, but a good enough offer never materialized and they opted to select CB Damon Arnette.
- With Las Vegas overhauling its receiving corps this offseason, ESPN’s Bill Barnwell says Raiders WR Zay Jones is firmly on the roster bubble despite just being acquired for a fifth-round pick last season.
- The Raiders signed TE Nick Bowers to deal that includes $100,000 guaranteed and a $50,000 signing bonus. (Aaron Wilson)