- According to Mike Garafolo of NFL Media, Chargers WR Tyrell Williams could end securing a “big payday” this offseason as a free agent.
- Garafolo says that while Williams had a reduced role in Los Angeles, teams could view him as a potential No. 1 receiving option in their offense this offseason.
- Former Chargers DT Corey Liuget tells Alex Marvez that he should be “80-90%” recovered from his torn quad in two months.
- As of now, Luiget is doing sled work right now and plans to increase his running load next week.
- Liuget hasn’t ruled out the possibility of re-signing with the Chargers if the offer is right.
New Chiefs DC Steve Spagnuolo says they haven’t figured out how edge rusher Dee Ford fits into their defensive scheme yet.
“I’ll be perfectly honest, I really haven’t figured that out yet,” Spagnuolo said, via the Kansas City Star. “I think myself, linebacker coaches, D-line coaches, would still like to figure that out. I don’t think we’re ready to put a tag on it yet.”
This is an interesting comment, given that reports have said the Chiefs are likely to franchise Ford in the coming weeks.
- Paul Gutierrez of ESPN writes that Raiders HC Jon Gruden praising Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray could be “elevating” Murray’s draft stock to set up a trade out of No. 4 overall.
- Gutierrez points to the comments made by Raiders’ new GM Mike Mayock at last month’s Senior Bowl about trading down is beneficial when the right player isn’t available: “If you have a cluster of guys at [No. 4] that you want and you don’t like them, you probably need to get out. Why take a guy you don’t love? Sometimes you get stuck, it happens. … A lot of it is common sense — if you want to go get a guy, go get him. But for the most part, if you can move down and pick up extra picks, that’s a good thing, too.”
- Although Gutierrez points out the Raiders’ biggest need is an edge rusher, he could see Oakland trading down to a “quarterback-needy team” if Ohio State’s Nick Bosa, Kentucky’s Josh Allen, and Clemson’s Clelin Ferrell are unavailable.
- Gutierrez mentions the Giants at No. 6, the Dolphins at No. 13, the Redskins at No. 16 as teams that could be interested in trading up for a quarterback.