ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports that the Lions are hiring Saints QBs coach Joe Lombardi as their offensive coordinator.
Adam Caplan mentions that Bengals quarterback’s coach Ken Zampese as a name to keep an eye on regarding the Detroit Lions offensive coordinator position.
- Caplan adds that Zampese could end up interviewing for the job “if he hasn’t already.”
Chiefs wide receivers coach David Culley’s name has also come up as someone to watch regards the position.
The Detroit Lions have announced that Ron Prince will be their assistant head coach and tight ends coach.
It appeared as though Price could end up as their offensive coordinator based on some previous reports, but with Price functioning as their tight ends coach, they can look for another assistant to run their offense.
Ian Rapoport mentions Chiefs WRs coach David Culley as someone to watch with regards to their offensive coordinator vacancy.
Tim Twentyman of DetroitLions.com reports that the Lions have officially signed former Ravens DBs coach Teryl Austin as their next defensive coordinator.
Ian Rapoport reports that the Lions have interest in Chiefs WRs coach David Culley for their offensive coordinator vacancy.
- Rapoport adds that if the Lions were to hire Culley, HC Jim Caldwell would likely be the team’s quarterback coach.
- Rapoport also mentions that Rutgers OC Ron Prince being another option for Detroit.
- Chris McCosky reports that Ravens DBs coach Teryl Austin has agreed to become the Lions defensive coordinator.
- According to McCosky, the “deal is done.”
- McCosky adds that there is still no word regarding their offensive coordinator job.
- Jason La Canfora reports that the Ravens have granted the Lions permission to interview secondary coach Teryl Austin for their defensive coordinator vacancy.
- ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports that the Dolphins have hired Eagles quarterback coach Bill Lazor as their new offensive coordinator, so it’s safe to remove him from the Lions coordinator candidates list.
Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network is “hearing” that Jim Caldwell’s coaching staff is expected to include:
- Eagles QBs coach Bill Lazor as offensive coordinator
- Ravens DBs coach Teryl Austin as their defensive coordinator
- Rutgers OC Ron Prince assistant head coach/OL.
ESPN’s Ed Werder is also reporting that Lazor is expected to become the Lions new offensive coordinator.
- Aaron Wilson reports that the Detroit Lions are expected to Ravens defensive backs coach Teryl Austin as their defensive coordinator.
- Wilson also reports that the Lions are expected to hire Rutgers OC Ron Prince to run their offense.
- Dave Birkett recently mentioned that Austin is expected to employ a 4-3 base defense with the Lions.
The Detroit Lions have already confirmed reports that Jim Caldwell will be their next head coach and rumors are circulating as to who could follow him to Detroit.
Here’s a running list of names connected to the Lions coordinator jobs.
- Adam Caplan mentioned Monday night that former Ohio State HC Jim Tressel could join Caldwell’s offensive staff in the coming days.
- Jason La Canfora reports that there is a “strong buzz” that Colts QB coach Clyde Christensen will be Caldwell’s top choice for the offensive coordinator position.
- Albert Breer mentions that Caldwell is “likely” to hire Ravens secondary coach Teryl Austin as the Lions defensive coordinator.
- Aaron Wilson mentions that Ravens RBs coach Wilbert Montgomery, OL coach Andy Moeller and DBs coach Teryl Austin are all candidates to follow Caldwell to Detroit.
- Ian Rapoport notes that the Lions still have DC Gunther Cunningham under contract for 2014.
- Dave Birkett has been informed that Rutgers OC Ron Prince could be joining Caldwell’s offensive staff. (Update: 12:50 pm)
- Birkett adds that Caldwell’s expected DC Teryl Austin will run the 4-3 defense in Detroit. (Update: 12:50 pm)
We’ll have more updates as the news is available.