“No. None. No. Not at all,” Jones said, via Pro Football Talk. “We know each other. We have been in the battles with each other kind of like Michael [Irvin] trying to roll back and clear something out with me. What makes this awkward is because we are in negotiations, and so you don’t tell everything because you know you are negotiating.
“Anything I say is a negotiation.”
Jones reiterated that he’s still optimistic they’ll get a deal done with Elliott.
“Yes, I’m optimistic that we can get Zeke’s deal done,” Jones said. “I don’t know that. I don’t know that. But sure, I don’t mean to be trite, but the whole premise is based on getting everybody under contract playing, so that’s what we’re trying to do here. Zeke’s under contract.”
“I don’t want to sound like it’s not important for him to be here. I think it is important for him to be here or we wouldn’t be having everybody be here, everybody getting some work in,” Jones added. “Everything about this is important. Everybody does understand it. It’s just a question of seeing if it works.
“But you know, we’re going to play football one way or the other. That’s the way it works.”
- Jones also asked about being optimistic about getting contracts done for Elliott, Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper before the season: “We don’t have but one contract that has to get done to play. I’m optimistic that we can get Zeke’s deal done…But we’re gonna play football one way or the other.” (Jon Machota)
- When asked if Prescott has any problems playing out the final year of his rookie deal, Jones said: “Not one bit. Not one bit. Certainly, not a bit at all.” (Calvin Watkins)
- Cowboys DE Taco Charlton said he might get an MRI on his ankle. (Calvin Watkins)
- Jimmy Kempski of Philly Voice mentions that Eagles backup QB Nate Sudfeld could be a trade option that makes sense for the Colts now that Andrew Luck has surprisingly retired from the NFL.
- The Eagles signed Josh McCown last week and it’s clear that they plan to have him in place as their backup, which means they’ll need to move on from one of their backups.
- Sudfeld worked with Colts HC Frank Reich while in Philadelphia few years ago and GM Chris Ballard attempted to sign him off of the Eagles’ practice squad.
- Kempski says he would shoot for a fourth-round pick in return for Sudfeld if he was the Eagles, but settle for a fifth-rounder.
- Eagles HC Doug Pederson said he’s still planning on DT Fletcher Cox and LB Nigel Bradham for Week 1. (Zach Berman)
Zack Rosenblatt of NJ.com takes a look at some Eagles players who could be trade candidates as the team prepares to get their roster down to 53. Rosenblatt’s list includes RB Wendell Smallwood, RB Josh Adams, DT Treyvon Hester, S Deiondre’ Hall, OL Stefen Wisniewski, QB Clayton Thorson, WR Mack Hollins, LB Nate Gerry, OL Matt Pryor, OL Halapoulivaati Vaitai and QB Nate Sudfeld.
- Redskins CB Fabian Moreau will get checked out by doctors on Tuesday before determining a timeline for his recovery. Moreau is dealing with an ankle injury. (JP Finlay)