Bears WR Taylor Gabriel is also looking to continue his growth from deep threat to complete receiver in 2019.
“I would say last year — and he would tell you the same — last year it was kinda, ‘This is how I do things. I’m Taylor Gabriel,’” Furrey said via the Athletic’s Kevin Fishbain. “We’re all sitting here like, ‘You haven’t done anything. Really, you haven’t done anything. But, I do see your potential.’ Even though he saw his potential or thought he was living his potential, he wasn’t there yet and he didn’t know how to get there yet until once he started realizing, yeah, this is how you have to practice, this is how you need to start being on the details. I can’t just outrun everybody. I’ve gotta understand what Coach Nagy wants us to do.”
- The Chicago Tribune’s Brad Biggs says S Eddie Jackson and RB Tarik Cohen would be top priorities for the Bears to extend after this season.
- Biggs also mentioned that DE Roy Robertson-Harris, who will be a restricted free agent after this season and has been developing with the Bears, is worth keeping an eye on.
- Biggs doesn’t believe the Bears would be interested in CB Josh Norman if the Redskins released him.
- Biggs adds he never thought DT Gerald McCoy was a good option for the Bears given his salary and potential fit in a 3-4 defense.
- Biggs doesn’t think the Bears will sign free-agent K Matt Bryant given his age and the fact he’s not used to kicking in cold-weather, outdoor stadiums.
- Bears WR Emanuel Hall had a sports hernia surgery similar to the one TE Trey Burton had, per HC Matt Nagy. Chicago hopes Hall will be back by training camp. (Rich Campbell)
- According to Ian Rapoport, Lions CB Darius Slay and DT Damon Harrison, who both have two years remaining on their contracts, would like new contracts and did not report to mandatory minicamp this week.
- However, Rapoport mentions that possible extensions for both players would be “tough” to accomplish.
- Rapoport said it is “hard to imagine” the Lions adjusting Slay’s contract given he is set to earn $13 million in 2019, which ranks him third among cornerbacks.
- Rapoport is unsure whether the Lions would increase Harrison’s $7 million salary given the Panthers signed DT Gerald McCoy to around the same amount.
Vikings HC Mike Zimmer said first-round C Garrett Bradbury has done a “good job” adjusting to the NFL and they are testing him in practice.
“He’s a very athletic guy that [can] really bend. He’s got good power, he’s very competitive,” said Zimmer. “He’s done a good job. We’re giving him a lot of different looks defensively, so I think that’s good for him. There’s times when we [confuse him a] little bit, but he’s very, very bright and doing a good job.”
- Per Andrew Krammer, Vikings HC Mike Zimmer says CB Mike Hughes won’t practice until at least training camp after tearing his ACL last October.