- While Bears RB Damien Williams has a pretty different skillset from RB Tarik Cohen, ESPN’s Dan Graziano notes Chicago could use Williams in some similar ways as a change of pace while Cohen is out.
- PFF’s Brad Spielberger outlines a potential contract extension that could work for the Bears and DT Akiem Hicks. He says three years and $39 million with $24.5 million guaranteed could make sense for both sides.
- Bears GM Ryan Pace said they’d be fine going forward with Nick Foles as their No. 3 QB. (Jeff Dickerson)
- Pace declined to discuss a potential contract extension for Hicks. (Dickerson)
“We’re going to go for two a lot,” Campbell said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “No, look it’s a good question. We’ve got our eyes on a couple of guys and we’ll see where this thing goes. Until we know exactly what we’re going to do, I’m just going to reserve that right now. We had a competition and we’re going to wait and see where this thing plays out at.”
- Detroit ultimately claimed former Browns and Bengals K Austin Seibert off waivers.
- Mike Garafolo reports Lions QB Tim Boyle will miss 6-8 weeks after undergoing thumb surgery.
- Per Ryan Wood of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, Packers GM Brian Gutekunst liked what he saw out of QB Jordan Love this preseason: “I thought he had a fantastic camp. I really did. … I thought we saw the growth we needed to see.”
- While it hurts to lose LT David Bakhtiari for the first six weeks of the season, Gutekunst said being cautious with their All-Pro left tackle was important: “He’s such a cornerstone piece for this organization. Felt like this was best for the team and David. … What he brings to our football team, rushing him out there was not something I felt comfortable doing.” (Wes Hodkiewicz)
- Gutekunst mentioned new P Corey Bojorquez‘s past experience with the Bills gave them confidence he could punt in Green Bay, which played into their trade with the Rams: “We saw some very good things in some cold-weather opportunities.” (Rob Demovsky)
- Packers HC Matt LaFleur said OLB Za’Darius Smith’s status is still “up in the air” but is recovering well from a back injury: “I’d say he’s up in the air, but he is getting better on a daily basis … We’re optimistic that he’ll potentially be out there sooner rather than later.” (Matt Schneidman)
- Gutekunst said he’s had “really good conversations” with Aaron Rodgers and HC Matt LaFleur throughout training camp: “I’ve had really good conversations throughout camp with Aaron and Matt … The conversations that I’ve had with Aaron have been excellent.” (Schneidman)
- Green Bay is hosting WR Brennan Eagles for a workout. (Schneidman)
“He was kind of a guy that was kind of pretty good in most areas — decent blocker, pretty good hands, runs decent,” Zimmer said via NFL Media. “So, of all the tight ends we looked at, he was the one that we thought was the best option.”
- ESPN’s Courtney Cronin reports Vikings WR Chad Beebe will need foot surgery and will be out for “several months.”
- Cronin also reports LB Anthony Barr is still dealing with a knee injury and is limited to individual work.
- Vikings TE Tyler Conklin said his hamstring injury is “as minor as it can be” and is feeling “really good today.” (Cronin)
- To facilitate Herndon’s trade, New York paid him a $1.4 million signing bonus. The Vikings will only pay him a $920,000 minimum salary. (Tom Pelissero)
- Vikings S Harrison Smith‘s four-year extension includes a $9.579 million signing bonus, $14.179 million fully guaranteed at signing, another $25.129 million guaranteed by March 2022, and a final $26.379 million guaranteed by March 2023. (Cronin)