Greg Auman of The Athletic takes a look at eight looming roster battles for the Buccaneers this offseason:
- RBs Ray Calais and T.J. Logan for the fourth-string role.
- OL Zack Bailey, Anthony Fabiano, Aaron Stinnie, Zach Shackelford, Josh Wells, Brad Seaton, John Molchon, and Nick Leverett for three backup offensive line roles.
- WRs Bryant Mitchell, John Franklin, Josh Pearson, and TE Tanner Hudson for a fifth-tight end or sixth-receiver jobs.
- DL Khalil Davis and Jeremiah Ledbetter for the fifth-string role.
- OLBs Kahzin Daniels, Quinton Bell, Michael Divinity, and Cam Gill for the fifth outside linebacker spot.
- LBs Jack Cichy, Chapelle Russell, Noah Dawkins, Kahzin Daniels, and Quinton Bell for a ninth linebacker role.
- CBs M.J. Stewart, Mazzi Wilkins, and Parnell Motley for the fifth-string job.
- Ss Justin Evans and D’Cota Dixon for the fifth-safety spot.
Falcons QB Matt Ryan believes that with RB Todd Gurley, TE Hayden Hurst, WR Julio Jones, and WR Calvin Ridley the team can be as good as the 2012 group that finished the regular season with a 13-3 record.
“We had a pretty good unit in 2012 with Roddy White, Julio Jones, Michael Turner, Tony Gonzalez — those guys were all pretty good,” Ryan said, via AtlantaFalcons.com. “I’ve got to imagine that this is right up there with them. You’re talking about Julio in his prime, Calvin Ridley going into Year 3 coming into his own. You’ve got Todd Gurley, who is hungry who wants to prove it this year. Hayden Hurst, another guy, first-round draft pick who just ended up in a spot where, the way they were running the football, it was no fault of his own [that he didn’t have the stats].”
- Tony Pauline said on the “Draft Insiders” podcast that free agent EDGE Jadeveon Clowney would be happy signing a “decent” one-year contract with a playoff-contending team at this point, as opposed to a three-year contract a middle-of-the-road team.
- According to Pauline, the two teams on top of Clowney’s list are the Cowboys and Saints. Although, Pauline admits that the cap situations of those two teams would likely prevent them from bringing Clowney in.
- Pauline also says he doesn’t know whether either the Cowboys or Saints would be interested in adding him at this point.