- According to ESPN’s Jenna Laine, Buccaneers RB Ronald Jones will be the lead back, RB LeSean McCoy will serve as the change-of-pace and RB Dare Ogunbowale will have a role on third downs and on special teams.
- Buccaneers S coach Nick Rapone said he expects the team to have just four on the final roster, which probably leaves Andrew Adams and D’Cota Dixon vying for one spot. (Greg Auman)
- Buccaneers WR John Franklin underwent surgery to repair a torn ACL in his left knee and has a 6-8 month recovery timetable. (Auman)
- The Athletic’s Joe Person notes Panthers RB Mike Davis has outright seized the backup job and could even push RB Reggie Bonnafon off the roster.
- Person wouldn’t be surprised to see the Panthers be active on the waiver wire this weekend to address linebacker, tight end, offensive line and receiver.
- He adds the secondary is also a gaping hole, particularly when compared against the rest of the NFC South, and reiterates the Panthers have been exploring trades.
- Person mentions he thinks the team will give UDFA P Joe Charlton the edge over K/P Kaare Vedvik, with the hope of getting Vedvik to the practice squad.
- Panthers QB Will Grier acknowledged he was “straight up bad” in his short starting stint last year that “failed miserably.” He has made progress, though: “I had trouble last year just with calling plays.” (David Newton)
- Panthers HC Matt Rhule said TE Ian Thomas‘ MRI on his toe came back negative for a fracture. He’s instead dealing with a hyperextension and should be back “pretty soon.” (Person)
- Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio explains some of the angst that cropped up between the Saints and RB Alvin Kamara, per sources.
- Kamara and Saints HC Sean Payton got into a squabble, per Florio, and the Saints started calling other teams to gauge trade interest in Kamara in order to prove no one else would give them a high draft pick plus meet Kamara’s contract demands.
- Florio says the Saints were put in a tough spot because they’ve long believed Kamara is as good or better than Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey, but his $16 million per year deal would be steep for a player they don’t use as much.
- The two sides still hope and expect to reach an agreement on an extension by this Monday.
- Dr. David Chao says if the reports of Kamara receiving an epidural are true, that’s cause to be very concerned. He says it could imply a potential herniated disc and future back surgery for Kamara.
- Payton told reporters on Wednesday: “We’re actively negotiating a contract with he and his agent. We’ll keep you posted if there’s any progress.” (Field Yates)
- He added: “We’re focused on him being a part of our plan for Week 1.”
- Payton didn’t elaborate on if Kamara was fined or if he was at the facility every day he was supposed to be. (Katherine Terrell)
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!